Fin Rot From Pet Store

mgngilbert

I got my betta about a week ago (his name is Phineas) and I noticed that in the little container from the pet store, the edges of his fins were kind of white and had thin grayish black edges. I was worried it was the beginning stages of fin rot, but I hoped that it would go away once I put him in a clean tank.

I've read a lot about fin rot and how to treat it, but it seems no one has asked a question regarding this situation. If my betta got fin rot in the pet store container, and I put him in a new clean tank, will the fin rot heal itself and go away on its own?

I am hoping and assuming it will because the bacteria from the tiny container isn't in his new tank, but I'm still super worried about him.

Repolie

Bettas are often kept in poor conditions which results in fin rot, but when kept in the proper environment it should heal on its own.

Skavatar

sometimes it will, depends on how bad it is.

your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, you'll need to get the tank cycled.

fin rot could be either fungal or bacterial or both.

BettaDollar

Good question mgngilbert. IMO, the fls contaminated container water was transferred to your tank and that's not good at all and should be of major concern for a few reasons.
Introducing a fish to a tank is always stressful for any fish whether it's cycled or not. He could die from either situation or both.
I'm not chewing you out. Everyone here want's you to be successful and we hope the best for your fish.
We'll help you become a good, responsible fish keeper that knows what treating your fish humanely means.
You made a mistake at your Betta's expense thru inexperience. The fish store was negligent and should know how to treat all fish & especially Betta's humanely.
Now you've got to do more research and I hate to say it - time is of the essence.
Good luck and keep us posted and always ask here first. There are more fish stores you can't trust than ones you can.
And welcome to the forum!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kymopoleia
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
saber