Fin rot experience? Need advice. Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by MyFireElf, Mar 22, 2010.

1. MyFireElf

MyFireElf New Member Member

I was wondering if someone could give me a little advice about fin rot, since I haven't treated it before. Since I brought home Finless Phineas last Wednesday, I put him in his 10 gallon tank with a Jungle Fungus Clear tablet and a packet of Mardel Maracyn (I added a new packet every 24 hours, since those were the instructions on the box), plus a little garlic since everyone here seems to recommend it. I did a 25% water change on Saturday and put in a second Fungus Clear tablet. So since today was the last of the five maracyn packets, and Phineas still has black along the edge of his fins, should I continue putting medications in the water until the black is completely gone, or stop now that I've done a full "course" and wait for the black to go away on its own?

I feel like every site I looked at for fin rot advice had something different to say on the subject so I'm a little :;fru at this point! What would you do for your betta boy?

I tried to get pictures of Phineas' tail, but he seems to hate my camera. You can see the black pretty well in these three, though:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Just a thought ... is that maybe his natural coloring? He has a dark body. Some bettas have a "border" around the edge of their fins.

My experience with fin rot has been the fins being eaten away, I've never experienced the fins with black edges.

Either way, I would continue to monitor his water conditions, keep up with the water changes. Garlic is good for him. Are you able to find VitaChem in your area? If not I definitely recommend ordering it online. Its a natural supplement that will help his fins heal.

-Tony

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello MyFireElf and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I agree with UpRightAndLocked. It's hard to tell from the photos but I'm not certain fin rot is the issue. Great tips he gave you too.
    Best wishes.
    Ken

4. OP
    OP
    MyFireElf

MyFireElf New Member Member

You know, I had thought about that... On the one hand, it would be just like me to over-worry and misdiagnose him, and the fin doesn't seem to be getting any shorter. On the other hand, there does seem to be less black there now than when I bought him (no before and after pics I can use for comparison, unfortunately, because he's a little camera-shy brat), and if it was part of his coloring wouldn't it be on his dorsal and anal fin as well, instead of just his caudal fin? It was the missing pectoral fin that really made me think of fin rot.

I don't know how quickly fin rot moves, if that's what it is. Would it be safe to change/filter the medicine out of his water now, and just keep a very close eye on him, do you think?

5. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

When I saw him I thought - hey! his colouring looks like firesong.. who does actully have a black edge to his caudal fin.

41.jpg

The dark edge isn't very evident on the rest of his fins

40.jpg

He's not a mutant... it's taken at the glass corner of his tank :;juan

6. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Haha, I wondered. It looked like he was lying on a pot outside the water in the first pic! That is really similar to the other pic, good spot!

7. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

This doesn't really look like fin rot to me. When you see fin rot, you'll notice whitish-looking edges to the fins, and they start to look tattered and ratty. I'm just not seeing that with your betta. Also, remember that when you bring a betta home, he's most likely been in a crappy little cup for a while so his colors will probably change to some degree as he gets comfortable in his new tank.

If he were my little guy I would stop all meds. You mentioned that you treated with Maracyn; I just wanted to caution you to keep a close eye on your water parameters. IME it does affect the bio filter even though the packaging says it won't. I think the best thing you can do for him right now is to stop the meds and change plenty of water. If he does have problems with his fins, water changes can be just as effective as meds (as long as it's caught early), and he'll love the fresh water! :)

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Fin rot is best taken care of with good, clean water. Large, frequent water changes are far better than medication.

9. ags2083

ags2083 Valued Member Member

If it is fin rot, lots of crystal clean water will fix him. It may not be fin rot as others are suggesting. I had a betta that was red, but he had a darker/black line all the way around his tail fin.

10. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Finless Phineas is a beautiful boy! And I agree with the previous posts.

11. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i have just finished with a bout of finrot with one of my boys. he did have some black on the ends....it seemed to dry up and fall off. now that he's getting better, i haven't seen the black. i would say if your boy's fins keep getting shorter and more frayed...he's not cured yet. i use vita-chem and it's pretty great! good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice