5 Gallon Tank Fin rot-do I need more salt?

FernAndJoop

Hi everyone! I posted a few days back about fin rot on my betta and was advised to begin using aquarium salt and add more tannins. info here

On Monday night I started the salt, and put in 2 teaspoons of salt. (using the ratio on the box, 1/2 teaspoon per gallon and slightly below tank size in case plants reacted badly). Then Tuesday night I added another 1/2 teaspoon, and today I added a few more IALs.

His other fin is healing fantastic, but this hole is getting really close to his body now and I'm worried. I believe the original hole started from flaring too much (which we've now solved) but how do I stop this hole progression? Do I need to put in more salt? The last water change was on Monday, about 30%, but I didn't want to mess up salt treatment so I haven't done another since.

BigManAquatics

I have always had great luck just with frequent water changes, no salt.

FernAndJoop

I have always had great luck just with frequent water changes, no salt.
The thing is, my parameters are near perfect and the other fin is growing so quickly! The only thing that's a little high is my nitrate, but that's only around 30. My pH is 7.8 but it has been stable there for months. Water changes have helped a lot in the past but for some reason I don't feel like it would fix this. I call it fin rot but tbh it's more like a tear that keeps expanding.

BigManAquatics

The thing is, my parameters are near perfect and the other fin is growing so quickly! The only thing that's a little high is my nitrate, but that's only around 30. My pH is 7.8 but it has been stable there for months. Water changes have helped a lot in the past but for some reason I don't feel like it would fix this. I call it fin rot but tbh it's more like a tear that keeps expanding.
I might find some stresscoat/stressguard to use on water changes. Supposed to help promote regrowth. Have had some really nasty finrot, like to the nubs, that all i did was frequent water changes and stresscoat and the fish bounced back fine, o ly to find itself in a kitty mouth a few months later!! But it's fins were sure pretty.

FernAndJoop

I might find some stresscoat/stressguard to use on water changes. Supposed to help promote regrowth. Have had some really nasty finrot, like to the nubs, that all i did was frequent water changes and stresscoat and the fish bounced back fine, o ly to find itself in a kitty mouth a few months later!! But it's fins were sure pretty.
Yep, I've also been using stress coat for awhile! I went into detail in my original post but basically he's dealt with fin rot for awhile, so I'm used to using stress coat and IALs. I could probably add a bit more stress coat I suppose, since it can't be overdosed.

StickyFishy

Yep, I've also been using stress coat for awhile! I went into detail in my original post but basically he's dealt with fin rot for awhile, so I'm used to using stress coat and IALs. I could probably add a bit more stress coat I suppose, since it can't be overdosed.
Is your fish doing better? I just added an indian almond leaf to my 3.5 gallon hoping that might help my fish recover. I can never figure out how to treat finrot but i guess stresscoat is working for everyone? Also does stresscoat have water conditioner in it?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Katco
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
peachsonas
Replies
Views