Fin Rot But No Ammonia?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by OllieFlem, Apr 24, 2017.

1. OllieFlem

OllieFlem New Member Member

ive has my betta in a 5.5 gallon since feburary. the tanks been cycled awhile now i think because i havent gotten any ammonia or nitrites on my test kits- but i only get 5-10ppm nitrate. in march i had a problem with ick and edmund's fins fell off at the ends a little. hes all cured from ich but his fins never really grew back? and now ive noticed theyre gotten worse. it started with one pinehole but the holes become a tear down to the end of his bottom fin and today i noticed a new tear on his top fin. hes a doubletail, if that makes any difference for rot? and hes active and eats and everything. so whats wrong? what can i do to help?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

how often do you change the water and what dechlorinator do you use?
    and how did you cure the ich? does he have any sharp decorations in the tank

3. OP
    OP
    OllieFlem

i change the water once every 5 days or so. usually i use prime but i ran out the weekend so i just use stresscoat. with the ich i used heat to cure it along with these "all in one remedy" though, i think just the heat helped. i didnt think there was sharp decorations? but i just took everything out but a silk plant and a very smooth hide he has.

4. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

How much stresscoat do you use
    if i remember correctly, under directions it says to use double the dose to repair fins
    and I forgot to ask what temperature is he at
    and if its possible to post a picture of Edmund

5. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of filter do you have? Sometimes their fins can get sucked into the intake and get torn.

Daily 50% waterchanges for 4-5 days is the first thing to start with to improve fin health. See if it improves at all. You may not need meds. Any pictures?

6. OP
    OP
    OllieFlem

d9d9bdc2c069994112a3562c78d76517.jpg heres edmund. the camera & lighting makes him look way paler than he is but you can kinda tell his bottom fins are rough. sorry about the quality.

7. OP
    OP
    OllieFlem

the water is kept at 78 degrees. i have silk plants thats in front of the filter and a diy thing to decrease the flow made out of a water bottle. i dont think the edges of the bottle could have scratched him because hes never around that area anyways? but it could be possible i guess. i will do water changes daily. hopefully he gets better. should i use prime (im buying more tomorrow) or stress coat?

8. AllieSten

I would use Prime only because you have been using it before.

His fins look torn from the picture. I put a sponge over my intake tube to block the suction. That would be my first guess as cause. What kind of filter is it?

9. OP
    OP
    OllieFlem

10. AllieSten

I have this same one in my 10 gallon. The bottom 3rd pops off. You will have to tug pretty hard to get the pieces apart. Take the flat sponge that comes with the filter. Cut it in half, and stuff half of it in the space behind the slits that open to the outside. Then pop it back together. Put the other half of the sponge back in the top of the filter. This will block the fins from getting sucked in there. Then at least you know that isn't the cause.

11. OP
    OP
    OllieFlem

sorry i didnt see this until today! thank you for the reply. i will do this right now. i also bought bettafix, which i know can be a little risky. it should work if i dose it properly though, right?

12. AllieSten

I've never used bettafix. So not sure about it. I would start out at a half a dose to see how he tolerates it. Aside from the dose I would follow the directions exactly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice