Fin Rot??? +(betta) Gill Hypersplasia Help

1. H

Haydenco1746 Initiate Member

Hello all,
    I am so confused as to what’s wrong with my betta and SO worried. My brother rescued him from one of his frat friends who had him living in his own waste :( but then had to move to california, leaving his little sister (me) with the betta, Sinicci. He has had fin rot since the day we got him so I’ve obviously been doing frequent water changes (25%) since six months ago when he was first handed to me. I’m almost completely sure he came with the gill hypersplasia but I can’t seem to get either of these problems to go away. He is in a 3 gallon filtered tank (he used to be in a 10 gallon but I moved him in order to treat him properly). The water changes seemed to keep the fin rot at bay but as of lately it’s started to progress, twisting his beautiful fins together like coiled wire. I have treated him on and off with bettafix and melafix (with very mild dosages, I knew the danger of it) and 25% water changes every day. From everything I have read online, I know that clean water is the best treatment above all else, but he has the cleanest of clean water and whenever I give his little body a break between treatments, the fin rot progresses. I just treated him with aquarium salt for the first time (I’ve been avoiding it because I know that it can burn them and I didn’t want to do anything that put him in pain) but I am so worried and at a loss of what to do. I used a decent amount below the recommended dosage because I want to do everything slowly to acclimate him to his tank conditions and keep his stress level as low as possible. I have two other bettas that I rescued when their bodily conditions were MUCH worse than Sinicci’s and they’ve both bounced back beautifully. He still has a rampant appetite and is very active and always happy to see me, but every once in a while I’ll notice very very mild lethargy in him. Also, his color seems to be fading and he looks slightly grey to me. It may be in my head, but I just want to address it before his lethargy becomes obvious and his condition is irreversible. Is this not fin rot? What can I do about his gills? I feel like a terrible fish owner, please help I love him!!

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I wish I could see this baby.
    Salt won’t burn him if you dissolve it first in a small cup before adding to the tank. Let’s see if we can get some eyes on your darling. @Mary765 @Jenoli42 @75g Discus Tank can y’all put eyes on this betta for me? Please and thank you.

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would try clean water. Clean water is one of the best things to do to help with problems like fin rot.

I’m not good with meds though. Hopefully somebody will come later and help with med dosing.

4. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Firstly, don't stress as it's not your fault!

I'm no good with meds as we have different ranges of meds where I am in the UK. But I can help in other ways!

To help the betta breathe better whilst his gills are healing, ensure that the water is as oxygenated as possible! You can do this by adding an air stone (And air pump) or moving the tank filter so it splashes back into the water and creates bubbles that way. Generally as much air-to-water contact the better. Damaged gills will struggle to breathe so this is a pretty important temporary step..

For the fins I would usually reccomend salt dips as that's what's worked for me but salt dips are a bas idea with damaged gills.. just keep the water as clean as you can (25-50% daily changes, keep the walls and deco clean also, gravel vacuum every other day) and see what meds others reccomend!

Good luck

5. Gypsy13

Thank you again Mary.
    And since it’s in a hospital tank I’d definitely add the aquarium salt. Just slightly less than it says on the box. Like two teaspoons instead of three. When you do the water changes, take out about thirty percent and add half a teaspoon of salt for three water changes. It actually aids gill function. Then stop the salt and just do the water changes. Keeping the water clean is going to help the most. Do you have a heater for the three gallon? Thanks everyone for helping out. Let us know how he’s doing after three days or if something else happens? Please?

6. Mary765

I know salt helps gill function but it's very painful and even deadly to open wounds, so I wouldn't in case some parts inside the gills have torn

7. Gypsy13

I know you know. I hadn’t heard that the gills were that bad. I’m sorry. :(
    In that case I definitely wouldn’t use the salt. I’m so sorry
    Haydenco! Forgive me for giving you conflicting info. :(

8. Mary765

Hey it's ok, we all make mistakes! Looking at the front on picture, the gill on the left of the picture looks super swollen so I just thought it would be better not to risk it :)

9. OP
    OP
    H

Haydenco1746 Initiate Member

Thank you all so much! I’m going out today to get him an air stone and will be sure to update you all on his progress (by the way he does have a heater, my bad I forgot to mention that). I have been monitoring him very closely and he seems around the same, although he had the slightest shimmy when I fed him this morning (something I’ve NEVER seen him do) luckily it seems to be gone now. He is also definitely very stressed from his big water change and slow aquarium salt acclimation over the course of last night so I dribbled a tiny bit of stress coat in there to ease his anxiousness. He does, however, take stress very well in comparison to my other bettas, so it’s strange to see him getting so worked up over me doing simple things (things he usually just finds interesting to watch) like vacuuming his gravel and repositioning his leaf hammock. I really do think there is something very wrong with him but there is no diagnosis that connects all of these weird symptoms and I would hate to be treating him for something he doesn’t have. I know that mismedicating anything is just as dangerous as ignoring treatment as a whole.