Fin rot/bacterial infection? need help with identification

oliviawilliam2017

my boy bug has recently become ill with from what i initially thought was fin rot but now i believe it’s something a little more serious. a couple days ago i noticed that his dorsal fin appeared to be turning greyish white. i honestly forgot about it for a day, but remembered to check on it yesterday. yesterday i noticed that part of his dorsal fin was actually falling off, and that another part of it was still greyish white. unfortunately i didn’t notice that his fin was falling off sooner because he is a black/blue crown tail. his fins are so dark and messy that is was barely noticeable that they were falling off. i wish i noticed this sooner. i did a water change and dosed with stress guard and contemplated if i should begin treatment with meds. today i noticed that the grayish white part is now a little fuzzy, so i set up a 2.5 gal QT tank and added kanaplex to the water. i’m currently thinking about adding furan-2 as well because this is clearly a very fast acting infection. i have absolutely no idea how this happened. i keep all of my tanks clean, doing water changes weekly. i have not added any new plants or animals to this tank recently. my parameters are good, i actually have a colony of blue dream shrimp in this tank so i really try to keep the water quality great for the little guys. i’m very concerned about this because it’s only affecting his dorsal fin, which has me worried that this is columnaris. he’s still eating, but is way more lethargic that usual. he’s the kind of guy who naps all day but recently it’s been excessive so i know he’s not feeling good. i’m going to add a picture of his infection below. if anyone knows what this is please let me know. i have a good amount of meds on hand.

You must be registered to see images

BigManAquatics

Fuzzy makes it sound like a fungal thing, which could be bacterial infection related, for sure. No clue on the meds though, outside of ich meds, which some also claim to treat fungal stuff.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
Replies
Views
Seamus111
Replies
Views
Roses
Replies