Fin Rot And Weird White Spot

1. erincherie

erincherie New Member Member

Can anyone help me identify what may be wrong with my betta, Sushi? I think he may have fin rot and has a suspicious white spot on one fin. It almost looks like a pimple or cyst but I haven't been able to positively identify it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Can you tell us what size tank he's in, if it's filtered and heated, what your water parameters are, and how often you do partial water changes?

3. OP
    OP
    erincherie

He's in a 3 gallon tank with spring water. I do a half water change every two weeks and a full change monthly. I run his heater in the winter, but water in summer, now is 78 degrees. No filter.

4. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

It looks like your little guy may have a bit of fin rot. I'd treat it with clean water, 40% per day, every day. If it doesn't get better then you can go up to a salt treatment, though some would start with that. There are some 'big guns' you can pull out, but I don't think it's time for that. As for the white pimple like things, I'm afraid I don't know. A while back someone had a Betta with a similar single lump and someone suggested that it might be Lymphocystis, which is a viral disease. There's no treatment for it, but it's not serious. I've never actually seen that myself, so can't be sure that's the problem, or that it's even likely. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Hold up - what do you mean by spring water? Do you mean that you are on a well?

6. OP
    OP
    erincherie

No, store bought spring water. I did clean his tank really thoroughly yesterday and put fresh water in and the aquarium salt. I'll keep a close eye on him and do another complete water change in a few days. He's a really great fish with lots of personality so I would hate for him to be sick.