Help fin rot and the tank water

candle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok,
being a newbie and all, i am not understanding why my guppies are dieing and how to get rid of the fungus "fin rot". I have 2 10gal and one 40gal. 1 10 gal is my fry tank and the other is my quarantine tank. I had all my fish in quarantine tank expect the bully "molly". My husband brought home some guppy's that were suppose to be feeder fish, these guppy are down right ugly and mean. I call them "jail house guppy" cause when i put them in the tank with my other fish they tore off tails and i had to remove my fish out of the tank into the main 40gal tank.
After 3 days all my guppies in the 40gal tank showed signs of fin rot, one died today and the other two are on there way. I am treating the tank, started yesterday, with "fugus cure" which cost a pretty penny. So i am guessing that the tank itself is infected and i should keep treating even if all guppies die, right? None of my other fish are sick.
**Cannot check water right now but the last time i did (day after i put fish in the tank) ammonia came out brown, off the chart. I had 1.0 nitrite 0 nitrate. yes i know the tank is not finished cycling. I use prime and do regular water changes.
any advice is needed thank

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not too familiar with fungus cure, but fin rot is not a fungus, it is caused by bacteria. It is generally not a communicable disease so treating the entire tank is not necessary for fin rot. If the problem is fungus, I know it can spread pretty quickly on the infected fish if not treated, but I'm not familiar enough with fungus to know whether or not it will spread to other fish. To be on the safe side, if it is fungus, separating the infected fish will help to prevent it from spreading. Fungus generally appears at the sight of wounds which get infected so if there is a white, cottony growth appearing where your fish had their tail bitten it could be fungus. If their fins have black or red edges and look ragged it could be fin rot. It could also be a combination of both I suppose. A picture would help us to identify what the problem is.

As for why your fish are getting sick and dying, the most likely reason is your water parameters. With ammonia off the charts, nitrite only at 1ppm and no nitrate it would seem that you are at the very beginning of the cycle. With ammonia that high it is extremely toxic and can be very lethal, particularly to stressed and already ill fish. Personally I would recommend you stop with the medication and begin some heavy water changes until your levels are much, much lower. I would suggest a 50% water change morning and night with the Prime until you can get the ammonia level to below 1ppm. Then go to once a day changes with the Prime to keep it below 1ppm until the tank fully cycles. Whether it is fin rot or fungus, getting your water parameters in order will be the most important thing. All the extra water changes might be all that is needed to help your fish pull through. Good luck!

candle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for clearing that up! it is fin rot so i guess i should stop treatment, ammonia was off chart meaning it was almost green but not quite then i turn dirty looking. i been using prime so maybe i was getting a "prime" reading, anyhow i been keep those levels under control pretty well.
What is fin rot from?

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fin rot is caused by bacteria, but most healthy fish with strong immune systems can generally fight the bacteria off. The most common reason fish get fin rot is poor water conditions. Living in poor water conditions will stress a fish out, that stress can lead to a weakened immune system. When their immune system is compromised they are much more susceptible to infections and diseases. Fin rot, ICH, velvet and fungus are the most common results. The best treatment for fin rot is clean water, clean water, clean water! Daily water changes with the Prime will help get your cycle in order and once that's covered the fin rot should start to clear up on it's own. You can use garlic juice to help boost the fish's immune system. https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/ The garlic you buy at the supermarket is very good for your fish. You can soak his food in garlic juice or just add a few drops directly to the tank water. Vita Chem is also a very good product which can help promote fin regrowth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom