fin rot and ph in 10g help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by yuuto, Jul 14, 2015.

1. yuuto

yuuto Valued Member Member

2 of my half moon bettas have some tough fin rot. the black one (cosmos) had it severely a while ago (https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=199446) but I got him healed up and put him back into his 10g home with his buddy who was also showing signs of fin rot, (shredded tips, rips down his tail, and I could see the bone part in his tail in a few bits)
    I figured since the tank was cycled and clean that I could put them both in there and treat them both for fin rot but something happened and the tank is showing low ph among other issues. note I did a water change yesterday and put new charcoal in the filter.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436901994.850676.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436902041.132799.jpg

there isn't anything sharp in the tank and the filter hardly makes a ripple as its pointed at the divider and a plant. the tank is heavily planted and there's also an abundance of white algae looking stuff on the glass? any idea what this could be? the temp is 80

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436902132.820453.jpg

it's hard to get pictures of them cause of the glass and because they scoot around super fast
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436902186.222560.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436902205.169667.jpg

neither of them show any signs of heavy distress, they eat fine, 2 pellets a day each, and are very active.

I'm going to get aquarium salt today but any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm leaving on Sunday for 3 weeks and they will be in my parents care.

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate but based on the photo it looks like your KH (carbonate hardness) is 0. This will cause your ph to be unstable and crash.

What is the ph of your tap water? What is the ph of your tank before you do a water change. You want your tap and tank ph to be within .5 of each other.

If you find your ph is dropping after being in your tank you can buy some crushed coral and mix it into the substrate or put some in a mesh bag in your filter. This will raise your ph and additionally your general hardness and carbonate hardness. If this is what is going on it could contribute to the fin rot also.

You don't have to buy aquarium salt which is expensive and is no different than plain old sea salt, canning salt etc. Any salt without additives, just plain salt can be used. Bettas are super sensitive to salt so only use a very small amount. The best thing would be frequent water changes to help them heal. Will there not be any water changes while you're gone on vaca? or would your parents be willing to help out with that?

I don't know whats on the glass. Is it fuzzy?

3. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

Betas like low ph and acidic water not hard water, i don't think that is the problem. It may be prudent to do more water changes like cindy said.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

A sudden drop in ph might have shocked the fish though, making them more stressed and vulnerable to disease. I agree with more water changes, clean water seems to be the best treatment for fin rot.

My betta is quite happy in his hard ph 8 water btw. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. CindiL

I'm really addressing the fact that there may be ph swings going on which no fish will thrive in. Bettas like most fish will thrive in a consistent ph between 6.5 and 8.0. The key word being consistent :) which I'm not sure theirs is. Also even softer water preferring fish need some minerals in the water for healthy osmotic function.

And my betta who is 2 years old is doing very well in his ph of 8.2 and medium hard water.

6. OP
    OP
    yuuto

yuuto Valued Member Member

I'm not to sure the ph of the water but I know that we don't have the best water as we live close to MANY power plants. (I live in sarnia Ontario)

the white stuff is kinda soft and comes off a bit when I rub it off. it's on most of my tanks but it's easily rubbed off, I just don't know what it is.

also I thought aquarium salt was non iodized and sea salt was iodized? I've heard that sea salt will hurt fish...

7. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The white stuff I think is just biofilm, mine get it sometimes, especially if new driftwood has been added recently.

I think adding coral or limestone to raise your kh is a good idea, just to keep your ph stable. Those crashes are hard on cycles as will as fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. CindiL

Iodized salt of any kind has additives in it, mostly iodine which people used to be deficient in so they added it to table salt. Sea salt is fine as long as it is plain sea salt, the only ingredient in any salt you use for fish should just be plain old salt. I use canning and pickling salt when I need to for my tanks because there are no additives in it.

9. CindiL

Use your strips and look at the ph in your tap and then compare the ph in your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice