Fin rot and fin curling - Whats wrong with my betta??

bubs

I’m a newer betta fish owner and I’ve recently purchased a beautiful butterfly betta. I’ve had him for about 4 weeks but recently I have noticed fin curling and some resemblance to fin rot. I treat it as that and continued to do 25% WC and treatments of bettafix. My problem now is that it looks like his dorsal fin is getting worse. I woke up this morning and it was now slightly bloody. Water temperature is 78, pH 7, 0 nitrates nitrites and 0 ammonia. I cycled the tank prior to getting him. Please help! I just want him to be healthy. He still eats and is active in his 5 gallon tank
IMG_4836.jpeg
IMG_3320.jpeg

Bettayonce

Hello!

If you could, can you please post another picture that focuses on the fins.

If your betta’s fins are curling, this must mean that your water pH is too high. Bettas need acidic pH and high pH could cause their fins to curl.

Also, don’t use too much bettafix. While this is advertised as a medication, this shouldn’t just as it is. Rather, you could use it as a supplement while treating with a more natural alternative like aquarium salt. Also I would use melafix rather than bettafix because it has a higher ans riskier dosage for it’s organs.

I’m not even so sure if you need to be treating this betta or you just need to lower your ph and neutralize your parameters.

Are you new to the hobby or are you just a new betta owner? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Upvote 0

bubs

Hello!

If you could, can you please post another picture that focuses on the fins.

If your betta’s fins are curling, this must mean that your water pH is too high. Bettas need acidic pH and high pH could cause their fins to curl.

Also, don’t use too much bettafix. While this is advertised as a medication, this shouldn’t just as it is. Rather, you could use it as a supplement while treating with a more natural alternative like aquarium salt. Also I would use melafix rather than bettafix because it has a higher ans riskier dosage for it’s organs.

I’m not even so sure if you need to be treating this betta or you just need to lower your ph and neutralize your parameters.

Are you new to the hobby or are you just a new betta owner? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

I am new to the hobby all together. I noticed the curling initially and checked all the water parameters, which were all normal at the time i tested. They have been normal everyday since then as well! What began to worry me was the redness and breaking of his top dorsal fin that I noticed this morning. It is rather hard to see in pictures but I noticed it right away. Could the bettafix have caused that?
IMG_9400.jpeg

Upvote 0

Bettayonce

No. The bettafix isn’t the culprit because if it harms anything it would be the internal organs.

Now that i’ve seen a clearer picture, you’re betta fish is fin nipping or biting its own tail.

I have mentioned this in many of similar threads that this is a very common issue in keeping betta fish, and frustrating as well.

Since you’re new to the hobby and owning betta fish, you may want to research about fin nipping, but i’ll give you a short summary of what’s it about.

Fin nipping is when bettas bite their own tails. There are many reasons as to why they do this, but the most common and general reason why they do this is stress. How many days have you kept your betta? A drastic change of environment could cause stress in bettas. You will see a lot of articles that suggest that making your tank heavily planted could fix this, but from my personal experience from keeping betta fish in a long time, this isn’t always the case. If you got your fish in a petstore where they sell bettas in a small cup, transfering them in a bigger home and lots of plants/decor could be overwhelming for them and stress them out as it is not the environment they are used to.

Another reason for this is aggression. For aggression, it could be of two ways. If your tank has a dark background or too bright lighting, the betta would see it’s reflection on the walls of the tank and mistake it for another betta and would get too cautious and stress, hence, the first reason, or it would see its tail and assume it’s the other fish. Another reason for aggression is that their’s too much aggression build up that it would throw “tantrums” (yes as silly as it sounds this term would be appropriate) and then unleash the aggression on itself. The way to solve these is to redecorate your tank where in you add more plants to cover the sides of the walls or you actually lessen so the betta would see itself. You can also just put a mirror in front of the betta for 5 mins a few times a day.

The next most common reason is genetics. Yes this could be genetically inherited from it’s parents. At least one of its parent pairs could also have a habit of fin nipping and it inherited that habit. If this is the reason, chances are you won’t stop this habit.

Lastly, your fish could be just Bored and just feels like bitting its tail. You could fix this by adding more decorations in the tank but don’t put anything sharp.

What I would suggest is to redecorate your tank and provide bigger swimming spaces while having areas with plant decorations (use silk if youre using fake plants).

This issue is often foreseen as fin rot and immediate treatment could be harmful. Plus it’s a fun way to get to know your betta.

I hope this helps

Upvote 0

FishBoy101

No. The bettafix isn’t the culprit because if it harms anything it would be the internal organs.

Now that i’ve seen a clearer picture, you’re betta fish is fin nipping or biting its own tail.

I have mentioned this in many of similar threads that this is a very common issue in keeping betta fish, and frustrating as well.

Since you’re new to the hobby and owning betta fish, you may want to research about fin nipping, but i’ll give you a short summary of what’s it about.

Fin nipping is when bettas bite their own tails. There are many reasons as to why they do this, but the most common and general reason why they do this is stress. How many days have you kept your betta? A drastic change of environment could cause stress in bettas. You will see a lot of articles that suggest that making your tank heavily planted could fix this, but from my personal experience from keeping betta fish in a long time, this isn’t always the case. If you got your fish in a petstore where they sell bettas in a small cup, transfering them in a bigger home and lots of plants/decor could be overwhelming for them and stress them out as it is not the environment they are used to.

Another reason for this is aggression. For aggression, it could be of two ways. If your tank has a dark background or too bright lighting, the betta would see it’s reflection on the walls of the tank and mistake it for another betta and would get too cautious and stress, hence, the first reason, or it would see its tail and assume it’s the other fish. Another reason for aggression is that their’s too much aggression build up that it would throw “tantrums” (yes as silly as it sounds this term would be appropriate) and then unleash the aggression on itself. The way to solve these is to redecorate your tank where in you add more plants to cover the sides of the walls or you actually lessen so the betta would see itself. You can also just put a mirror in front of the betta for 5 mins a few times a day.

The next most common reason is genetics. Yes this could be genetically inherited from it’s parents. At least one of its parent pairs could also have a habit of fin nipping and it inherited that habit. If this is the reason, chances are you won’t stop this habit.

Lastly, your fish could be just Bored and just feels like bitting its tail. You could fix this by adding more decorations in the tank but don’t put anything sharp.

What I would suggest is to redecorate your tank and provide bigger swimming spaces while having areas with plant decorations (use silk if youre using fake plants).

This issue is often foreseen as fin rot and immediate treatment could be harmful. Plus it’s a fun way to get to know your betta.

I hope this helps
To sum it up, your betta might be bored.

Upvote 0

bubs

To sum it up, your betta might be bored.
I will try to make some adjustments!

Upvote 0

bubs

I hope this helps
Thank you so so much! This helps a lot. I will make some adjustments and see if anything changes!

Upvote 0

Bettayonce

I will try to make some adjustments!
Boredom is less likely to be the reason compared to the ones mentioned before it. But nonetheless, you may have to still adjust the tank decors. I recommend leafy plants like anubias. There are different types and bettas love resting on the big leaves.

Upvote 0

bubs

Boredom is less likely to be the reason compared to the ones mentioned before it. But nonetheless, you may have to still adjust the tank decors. I recommend leafy plants like anubias. There are different types and bettas love resting on the big leaves.
I will look into adding those types of plants and try to reduce the stress that may be causing it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
philam
Replies
Views
jinseng
Replies
Views
Repolie
  • Question