Fin Rot - Am I Doing It Right?

Aquilist
Hello!
So, my crowntail betta, Pluto appears to have fin rot. His tail is far shorter than when I originally purchased him 3 months ago and has blacky-coloured tips. I'm not sure if the black ends are fin rot, as he has them in the first photo, which was taken the day I brought it home.
He's in a 3 gallon heated and filtered tank, with aquaponics and biological filtration (Has a water garden on top). I originally did 100% water changes every week-fortnight.
I've completely emptied and thoroughly cleaned his tank before adding clean water.
As for treatment, I've been doing 50% water changes daily for 2 days so far. I haven't noticed his tail getting any worse, but I don't know exactly when it showed up.
I don't really want to go out an buy any treatment, as I'm still in school and are not allowed to drive it's not easy to go out and buy things. I've also read that medications can block the fishes gills and remove their slime coat?
However, if medication is the best thing for Pluto please tell me.
(I've also removed silk plants from his tank and added a very smooth, not-dangerous-to-betta-fins plastic plant. I've taken out any 'dirty' decor. Once his fin rot is gone, I'll live plant his tank.)

3 months ago vs today.

unnamed-5.jpg
IMG_0963.JPG

FishFor2018
Well since you can’t really get medication I would say to keep doing what you doing but if it gets shorter in a week get the medicine.

wolfdog01
Never do 100% water changes, usually it'll do more harm than good. Just continue with the 50% changes every day. It could take a while to see improvement.

Aquilist
Never do 100% water changes, usually it'll do more harm than good. Just continue with the 50% changes every day. It could take a while to see improvement.
Ok, thank you! I’ll continue with the water changes.
Well since you can’t really get medication I would say to keep doing what you doing but if it gets shorter in a week get the medicine.
Thanks for replying! If it does come to medication what do you recommend?

FishFor2018

I would do amoxicillin and a fin and body cure just to be safe. Doesn’t matter what brand. You can order them online or get them at your local pet store. Hope he gets better!

Aquilist
I would do amoxicillin and a fin and body cure just to be safe. Doesn’t matter what brand. You can order them online or get them at your local pet store. Hope he gets better!
Do you mean amoxicillin as in the human amoxicillin? The one for bacterial infections and commonly used for middle ear infections?

wolfdog01
I used API erythromycin when my betta kept getting fin rot, eventually I stopped the meds and just did daily water changes to solve the problem.

Aquilist
I used API erythromycin when my betta kept getting fin rot, eventually I stopped the meds and just did daily water changes to solve the problem.
So just water changes should do the trick?

wolfdog01
Most of the time yes, if it is aggressive rot then meds will need to be used. With my halfmoon for example, the meds did speed up the healing but it could also make his body weak to certain diseases and illnesses because it will grow a resistance to it and his body will eventually rely on the meds for help. If you can avoid medication, avoid it lol. It took about a week for me to notice the fin rot stopping on my fish, then the next few weeks to start healing. Usually once you see new growth you can do every other day water changes and eventually go back to your normal schedule.

Aquilist
Most of the time yes, if it is aggressive rot then meds will need to be used. With my halfmoon for example, the meds did speed up the healing but it could also make his body weak to certain diseases and illnesses because it will grow a resistance to it and his body will eventually rely on the meds for help. If you can avoid medication, avoid it lol. It took about a week for me to notice the fin rot stopping on my fish, then the next few weeks to start healing. Usually once you see new growth you can do every other day water changes and eventually go back to your normal schedule.
I don’t believe it’s aggressive. I haven’t seen it worsen and only really noticed when going through old photos. So I hope water changes will be all I need.

wolfdog01
Here is a question...what type of filter do you have? If it is sucking in his fins then his ends could be breaking off into it. I don't think he is a tail biter, usually that title belongs to rose tails or halfmoons.

FishFor2018
Do you mean amoxicillin as in the human amoxicillin? The one for bacterial infections and commonly used for middle ear infections?
no fish amoxicillin

Aquilist
no fish amoxicillin
Oh! I'll have a look.
Here is a question...what type of filter do you have? If it is sucking in his fins then his ends could be breaking off into it. I don't think he is a tail biter, usually that title belongs to rose tails or halfmoons.
It quite a gentle filter. The current is practically non-existent and I've never seen him spend longer than 5 seconds in that corner.

Adriifu
Aquilist
emmysjj

I heard good things about Kanaplex.

If you want to go a more natural way, you can use Indian Almond Leaves or Betta Spa (basically a liquid version of IALs).

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Top Bottom