Fin rot after all!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by critter_fritter79, Mar 31, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

It would appear that I have alittle case of fin rot in one of my tanks. I treated everybody in the place with jungle fungus cure just in case anyone else is affected. At the moment, the only one that had definite fin rot is the little turquoise dt I got from the store. Everyone else looks good, even Apollo is regrowing his fins nicely from the rough spawn earlier this month. But, fin rot terrifies me so they all got treated. Problem is, the jungle fungus cure didn't help the dt at all. The edges of his fins are rough and kind of black...

So, this morning, I started erythromycin treatments. The reason I treat everyone is that I sue the same nets and hoses on every tank, so just in case it could spread, I feel more comfortable treating them all. I have also been adding stress coat to their water for the spawn injuries... This is all the proof I need that shared tanks can be a lot of trouble MM! I am going tomorrow to try and get individual homes for them all and am considering doing that for the females too...

Any other thoughts or ideas on how to nip this in the bud??

2. Martinismommy

MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Critter, this is why I have 200 jars lol....As far as treating them just good clean water should help and I like Jungle fungus clear...

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I have been doing every other day changes on them all to help with the healing of the fin damage from spawning so their water is good...and no one but the dt seems affected..I read somewhere that the jungle fungus clear can be mixed with the erythro, but am nervous about mixing meds..is it really ok to do this? As far as their homes, I have an idea for a lot of 2 gallon tea jugs!! I looked at the spigots on the front of them and the light bulb lit right up!!!

4. Martinismommy

The only problem with the tea jars and the reaso I won't use them is because I completely clean out my jars every single water change...I don't like the gunk on the bottom and if all you are doing is draining down it is not clean enough for my liking...

5. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I was honestly just being funny...I don't clean the jars EVERY time I do a wc, but I make sure they are cleaned every other change. Plus, when I do a wc on the tanks, I don't just drain them..I always vac really good. I HATE to see dirty stuff floating or sitting in my tanks...I figure, I wouldn't want to live in a junkyard...

6. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

erythromycin, even in humans can be very strong. I dont suggest mixing medications anyways because it can sometimes cause unwated things to end up happening. I would keep with the erythro and just let the fin rot have it. Keeping them all in their own individual homes is a good idea. But expensive if you dont do jars. Petsmart in my are started carrying a $8 betta tank that comes with a divider. But the tank itself is good it just doesnt have a light in the hood. I would buy a few of those or a few gal bowls, you already do water changes every other day so it would be fine. Best of Luck Critter, and keep us updated.

7. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I want to make sure the kids have plenty of room, but I have a pretty high population here at Critter's Betta Ranch so individual TANKS are pretty out of the question. But I have seen several barracks systems that I am thinking of attempting also...

8. Furallicah

That would work. But it is like you said a betta ranch...XD so jars or largeish/medium containers I think would be best. But its all about personal choice. My main concern was the medication mixing...doing that worrys me because medications can react in negative ways.

9. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

That was pretty much my feelings on mixing the meds...I was told that would "pack a double punch" but I am always afraid mixing could actually make things worse..so I don't

10. Furallicah

Yeah, on a human level...I have seen mixing medications go really bad even to the point of death....Which is why I dont suggest it for fish unless you know for a fact nothing will happen. Just looking out for you Critter. None of your fry has fin rot do they?

11. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

Oh no...the only one that I am sure has it is the turquoise dt I got from petco 2 weeks ago..but like I said..I use the same things..nets, vac..etc. on them all so just in case, I am teating them all. Plus, I had 2 imports that MM said looked like they mght be getting it...I am trying to stop it from spreadin or getting worse before it does!

12. Furallicah

I hear you on that one. The quicker you can stop it the better. I wish you the best Critter!

13. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

Just to be sure...this is fin rot right??

Attached Files:

14. Furallicah

Oh yeah...that be fin rot....how long has he had it?

15. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

since about a week after I got him so a week and a half. I took these pics 10 minutes ago...this is what he looks like after 2 rounds of jungle fungus clear...

16. Furallicah

....Ok I thought this had poped up like a day or two ago....it looked pretty advanced for something like that. But a week and a half it looks ok. Could be worse...and I've seen worse. Keep with the erythro treatments or the Jungle Fungus, he should heal over. You do treat his food with garlic juice right?

17. Martinismommy

OMG Critter! He went downhill fast! He needs treatment and daily water changes immediately...

18. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

yep...I actually bought a jar of minced garlic and have been feeding them little bits every couple of days plus adding a little of the juice..

19. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

yes MM he did...it seemed to happen almost overnight! I have been doing every other day wc's on them all and on his tank it is about an 80% change. He is eating well and swimming well, but I am very concerned with how fast it got him!

EDIT: It started on tuesday of last week and I immediately started the jungle clear treatments. It seems to have slowed it down, but it is still progressing after 2 treatments..

20. Furallicah

I would treat with tetracycline, if the jungle and erythro isnt helping. Other then that the garlic and clean water is the best you can do.

*Edit, or Triple Sulfa, I hear that it is some good stuff.*

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice