Fin Regrowth

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can tell Dory's fin rot problem is improving because there's clear/white webbing between the areas that used to be torn and rotted away. I'm a little concerned though; will those areas ever return to their original coloring, or to any coloring at all? They're not showing any signs of doing so yet.

Has anyone here beaten fin rot? How long does it take for color to start coming in to the healed areas?

Thanks,
Whitney

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Don't worry. That sounds normal. Grim has just gotten over fin rot. At first, the area was white/clear just like you said. After a while it turned marroon like the rest of his tail. He's even growing in a little bit of blue at the end. I've heard that the fins don't grow back as brightly colored as they were before, but they do grow back in color. I would say, that's how it is with Grim. The tail isn't quite as pretty as it was before, but as far as I am concerned, I'm just glad that it is back! It seems like the whole process took a little over a month. I suppose that it will depend on how much fin Dory loss. Good luck! ~J~

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that is good to know! How long approximately did it take to show some color?

Here's some pictures btw, of before and after, and in one I traced the outline of where the regrowth is since it's see-through and hard to pick out in the original pic. (not too flattering, sorry Dory)

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't say exactly how long it took. All the days I sit here at my desk kind of roll together. I'd say a few days after the growth started it began to get color... it was hard to tell though, b/c the new fin was growing out more too. Then it started to get dark at the tip and I thought the fin rot was back, but it just turned out to be blue regrowth. I have attached two pics to give you an idea

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
Thanks, that is good to know! How long approximately did it take to show some color?
One of our Bettas, Aslan, is regrowing his fins too and looks like Dory with the regrowth. We're waiting for the regrowth to get color too so it'll probably be a couple weeks or so until we see some given the appx. month to color. Right now the start of the regrowth is about a week old so we'll keep track of how long it takes with him. Sounds like Dory's well on the way to getting some lost fin back though - glad to hear it.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fin rot is a big pain. I am still fighting it with my 2 boys, Barney and Benji. I'm glad Dory is showing some improvement and regrowth Whitney. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cherryrose said:
Fin rot is a big pain. I am still fighting it with my 2 boys, Barney and Benji. I'm glad Dory is showing some improvement and regrowth Whitney. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

CherryRose
I wonder if we'll ever get over being paranoid about finrot now.. it stinks Bettas seem to come down with it so much.. I hope Barney & Benji start having fin regrowth of their own soon & NO more finrot.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, FLBettaCouple. I hope Barney and Benji and all of our bettas on this forum get well soon. It sure would be nice to come to this forum and find that all of our fish are finally healthy. In the mean time I guess we just keep on treating them and hope for the best.

CherryRose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When my first Betta, Phlox, had finrot it took 3 months before the fins even STARTED to grow back. They came in white at first and then turned red like the rest of his tail.
One of my females, Aenara, had most of her tail torn off in fights with her sisters when they were together for a few days. She never got finrot in spite of getting no treatment except clean water. It's been 4 months and her tail is "mostly" grown back although there is still a bit on the edge that is growing. Her tail was white with dark red edges and the part that grew back is white cellophane thin with no color so far. It may keep growing and develop color later. It sometimes takes a LONG time but as long as it is growing back your Betta will be fine. Keeping the water very clean and the parameters correct will help the fins grow back healthy. There is no way to know if it will grow back the same color or a different one. What's important is that it grows back healthy.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
What's important is that it grows back healthy.
Yea, I couldn't agree more..

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree! In all honesty I'm just happy there's any growth at all, I don't much care what it looks like. I'm also pretty happy with how quickly it's growing backl, today it already looks more opaque than it did yesterday, which seems like a sign that color might come back soon.

Thanks for all the support. Figured it's probably good to hear at least one success story with SO much tail rot happening these days!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
I agree! In all honesty I'm just happy there's any growth at all, I don't much care what it looks like. I'm also pretty happy with how quickly it's growing backl, today it already looks more opaque than it did yesterday, which seems like a sign that color might come back soon.

Thanks for all the support. Figured it's probably good to hear at least one success story with SO much tail rot happening these days!
Yea, it is. And as fellow Betta parents, we're happy for you knowing how good it feels to see one of our Bettas on the mend & over something.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like his tail is coming back nicely. It will be a while before it looks the same as it used too, but at least it is healing.

Sparkling Diamonds

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's wonderful to finally see a success story! I, as well as a few other members, are helping our fish fight rot also.

It's comforting to see some success, finally.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your fin rot too! I'm sure all will be well soon and you'll have a sucess story to post too
Just another update, today regrowth is a somewhat opaque white that finally looks blue with light shone on it... except of course the red parts which are still red. I dunno what's up with those red parts, really.

Another pic! The regrowth is a little longer than it looks here, partially because of perspective and partially because the parts that are still transparent didn't show up. But it's good progress.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
Just another update, today regrowth is a somewhat opaque white that finally looks blue with light shone on it... except of course the red parts which are still red. I dunno what's up with those red parts, really.

Another pic! The regrowth is a little longer than it looks here, partially because of perspective and partially because the parts that are still transparent didn't show up. But it's good progress.
Good to hear of Dory's continued improvement.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He does look better. It helps to just have a routine to keep an eye on him and do what you've been doing, keeping his water clean, making sure he's comfortable and undisturbed.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
He looks much better!!! I'm very happy for ya!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good job treating the fin rot. Dory looks great!

CherryRose

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I may have spoken too soon. Today I noticed some of the new growth near the bottom of his tail has started to rot away. Right now I am doing a 50% water change, and I am considering putting him back on the Jungle Fungus Clear.

I just hope I don't lose all the progress I've made.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom