Fin nipping

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that on one of my danios is tale is looked like it has been nipped at. I have two serpae tetras in my tank i was wanting to know if it could be one of the tetras or another danio. Now that i think about it i have seem the bigger danio chasing him around a lot more. I have 2 black mollies and their tales dont seem to be nipped at all. I was wondering what i should do with the danio that is getting his fins nipped to help him heal and to stop this fin nipping. Thanks.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that since you only have 2 serpae tetras, they armost likely the problem. Get at least 6 since they are a schooling fish next time or just get at least 4 more.
And to help your danio heal, you could purchase a breeding net(great investment) and let it sit in there for a while until it is healed and then reintroduce it to the main tank again.
Hope you take it that I'm being mean or anything, just caring.
Tom

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Could i also take the seprae tetras back to the lfs were i bought them from. Would he heal properly. I would get 4 more seprae tetras but that would make me have 12 fish in a ten gallon tank that is way over stocked. what about putting a divider in the tank would that be ok till the little guy heals. Is medication required or is a natural healing process. That was a bad mistake on my part of getting seprae tetras i read fishlore about the fish but i guess i looked at the wrong fish did not realize they were fin nippers. Anyway i may get a 5 gallon tank and use it for quartine for something like this ever happens again. Smart move in the long run. Thanks a bunch

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom