1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Fin Nipping Or Fin Rot (betta)??

1. lovetuv

lovetuv Valued Member Member

Hey everyone,

I have had my betta Gerard for three years now. Pretty much his whole life he’s had damaged fins. I started him off in a 5.5 but then upgraded him to a 10. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of. I’ve done water changes every other day, turned up the heat, and dosed Stressguard. They only grew back once and then it went bad again. I bought Bettafix this last week but then someone suggested it could just be him nipping his own fins. They are 100% convinced that’s what it is but I’m not. They are saying I could try downgrading him to a 2.5 but that just doesn’t sound right to me. Opinions?

Thanks!

Image1529882504.069258.jpg Image1529882535.133067.jpg

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Ok I can relate a lot. I bought a rescue fish and his fins never grew back how they should. It happens and its ok. Those fins are very long does he have any trouble swimming? Or being lazy sitting around?
    upload_2018-6-24_17-41-29.png My rescue Mercury

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    lovetuv

I’m so glad someone can relate :) Thank you for your reply.

I don’t notice him struggling to swim but I’m not constantly watching him as he’s in my fish room. He does have very long and beautiful fins when they are grown in. He’s a halfmoon so they should be filled in a lot more than what they are now. He is a little bit lazy, but he’s getting old, too, at three. So I have always attributed it to that. He comes out when I go to feed him and if I stay in my fish room he’s swimming all around. But he’s not as active as a couple of my younger ones. I’m a bit stumped about what to do :(

Also I find it kind of funny that your boy looks really similar to mine!

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

kinda lol, you could downgrade to like a 5gallon if he is getting old.

5. BetterBettaBuddy

BetterBettaBuddy New Member Member

Today I cried, because I had been treating Louis's fin rot for two weeks with no success. I finally gave up and groomed his fins back. Needless to say it was very traumatizing for both of us, and he is currently recuperating in a small shallow glass treated with tannins to help calm and treat him. My poor baby.. I just couldn't let him suffer anymore. I did everything I could, water changes, I completely tore down his tank. New gravel, took out all of the silk plants, and put in live, almond leaves, tetracycline, betta-fix, nothing. In the end, I used clove oil to tranq him, and a scalpel with a very steady hand. It took all of 3 minutes. Now he is annoyed at me, but I know I won't lose him to fin rot.

6. OP
    OP
    lovetuv

Yeah the pics I sent weren’t very good but they actually look very similar.

Yeah that’s what they suggested, I just feel bad downgrading him. Maybe I’ll try that. Thank you :)

Aww I’m so sorry for your poor boy :( I hope that helps him!!

7. BetterBettaBuddy

BetterBettaBuddy New Member Member

I woke up this morning to a much happier fish..Louis even built a bubble nest to show how happy and healthy he is feeling, but God I hope I never have to do that again.