Fin nipping. Neel help/ advice

ddp58

I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 Glofish tetras and 1 gold skirt tetra. 2 of the 4 Glofish have been fin nipped. They normally just hide. While the other two Glofish just roam around the tank. The one gold skirt tetra just hides and only comes out to eat. I don’t know who the fin nipper is.

bcfishtanks

Most tetras are nippy, which could be the problem. I'm surprised they're not nipping the skirt tetra, in all honesty. Part of the problem could be stress. It's best to have full schools (8+) of one type of schooling fish rather than small schools of many types of schooling fish. What else do you have in the tank?

ddp58

Most tetras are nippy, which could be the problem. I'm surprised they're not nipping the skirt tetra, in all honesty. Part of the problem could be stress. It's best to have full schools (8+) of one type of schooling fish rather than small schools of many types of schooling fish. What else do you have in the tank?
That’s it I just have the 5 fish I mentioned above.

bcfishtanks

It could definitely be the small school sizes. Watch them at night when the lights are off to see what behaviors they exhibit toward each other.

ddp58

It could definitely be the small school sizes. Watch them at night when the lights are off to see what behaviors they exhibit toward each other.
Ok but when the lights are off it’s very difficult to see them. I can barely see anything. Any other suggestions?
Currently I just went to find the fish that is nipping and want to isolate it. But the problem is I don’t know who is nipping.

Noroomforshoe

Skirt tetra can be nippy. FYI, the glo tetra are skirt tetra, so technically you have one school, but 5 is a small school. or not really a school at all if you consider that most say a bare minimum school is 6. It is often recommended with nippy species to keep them in large schools of 9 being the bare minimum. A 20 gallon long could house nine skirt tetra. A 20 gallon, im not sure, you could end up with crowding stress and more fin nippying.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CLC9179
Replies
Views
Fisher13
Replies
Views
kenz7280
Replies
Views