Fin nipping!! Help!!

1. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

Last week, I purchased two mollies, a dalmation lyretail and a silver lyertail. I put them in a tank with a betta. The dalmation seems to be having no trouble, no being chased, etc. but the silver one always gets chased by the betta, and sometimes the other molly.(he is smaller than the dalmation molly). I ignored it up until now because there are lots of hiding spots in the tank and always see her disappear into the coral decoration. But last night I noticed that there was a chunk missing out of his tail! I don't know what to do. I still have time to take her back to the pet store, but i can't afford another tank to set up to put just him in. I do plan on buying another plant to cover an open spot in the tank. Please help!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Betta are extremely territorial and aggressive fish. They will attack anything that looks like a betta to them or are more flashier than them. They should be paired with drab or dark fish I do believe it bottom feeding fish. Common companions are snails, shrimp, and ADFs. Even that is not a grantee as some betta just like to be alone period. My suggestion would be to remove the betta to a separate tank first or rehome him, assuming it is a him Preferably a 5g or 10g but if money is an issue and regular maintenance is preformed a 2.5g is doable. Though my little guy adores his 5g.

As for the fin. Clean water will keep it from getting infected so regular water changes are a plus and a must. A little Aquarian salt could help disinfect it just follow directions on the package on dosing. Make sure it is completely dissolved as the granules will burn fish if touched it is also cheap to buy. There are also medications that might help but they are genuinely more expensive. I think it is Mealafix but it might be the other one I can't remember never used it. Never needed it. So someone else might advise that or just read the labels.

remove carbon when dosing medication follow all instructions. Don't replace carbon till treatment is complete to help remove any extra medication a water change will help with that as well. Also keep an eye on you water conditions as some medications destroy your bacteria colony.

the best cure is clean water and time it should grow back I do believe unless I am wrong.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bettas should really be kept by themselves, as has been said you should either set up another tank for him or rehome him.
    How big is the tank they're all currently in? If it's big enough you could divide it to keep them seperate.
    Keep an eye on the torn fin for any signs of infection, clean water should be enough for it to heal.

4. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

The tank is a 20 gallon and the aggression has seemed to stoped. I haven't seen to much chasing now but the betta seems to leave him alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It will stop while you're watching, it'll most likely start again after lights out especially now if he's taken a dislike to one in particular.
    I really would think about either dividing the tank or rehoming him

6. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I would still remove or but a divider in for the betta unless you are 100% sure it stopped. Still once done the first time it could happen again.

a 2.5g tank is really not that expensive or even a 3g seen them at sell at WalMart a while back or petco is doing a dollar per gallon sale again till the 14th be a good time to get a cheap tank. Tetra tanks at least where I am have a money back mail in rebate to if you go that route if the stir near you does it. You would only be out the money on gravel decorations and hood or light. Just a thought.

I personally would still do the aq salt just to prevent a infection from setting in. It won't hurt the other fish and one dose won't hurt.