Fin Nipping Barbs! Will Adding More Help? Help

1. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a school of 7 tiger barbs in my 55 and they've started to nip at my pleco's fins. He's big enough to defend himself but he doesn't seem to be all that bothered but his dorsal is getting pretty ratty looking. I assumed 7 was a big enough school. Will adding more barbs get rid of the nipping? What I'm afraid of is adding more tiger barbs and the nipping getting worse because there's more of them.

Thanks in advance!

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Just out of curiosity, what else do you have in the 55? I think if there's space, you could add quote a few more.
    Tiger barbs are socially annoying lol; they don't understand why other fish don't understand their pecking order and dominance schema lol :p

3. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Usually that's a common thing for tiger barbs. They have a pecking order and usually should be in groups 10+ so they can focus on eachother no one else IMO. ;) I agree on what @KinsKicks what do you have in your tank?

4. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

In addition to the pleco:
    2 EBAs
    1 Blood Parrot
    5 SAEs

They really are getting on my nerves; they're beautiful but will even go after my arm if I'm in there doing maintenance!

5. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Have you seen them nip at the other tankmates?

6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Tiger Barbs should be kept in higher numbers 10+ to increase the likelihood that they will be distracted by each other rather than their tankmates.

EDIT: @Kenny777 didn't notice your post.

7. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Not that I've seen... The cichlids are a bit more fiesty than the pleco which is why I think the barbs have left them alone. The SAEs don't seem to interest them either.

8. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

In that stock I would add more Tiger Barbs , bringing them up to atleast 12 and see if that helps the situation.

9. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

With your current stock ill say up your numbers to 12-14.

Edit: @JesseMoreira06 got his revenge :p he beat me to it.

10. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm off to find more tiger barbs today then lol. I hope this works.

11. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Hope you find some more!

12. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Any news on the Barbs?

13. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to the LFS tomorrow so hopefully they have another 7 I can take home. I definitely am sick of getting bitten when I put my hands in the tank, they will come right to my arm and nip away! And it actually hurts!