Fin mystery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought what I'm pretty sure is a guppy/endler cross about a week ago. He might just be the most beautiful thing, and I resisted buying two and only bought the one because I was afraid of throwing off my tank. I figured that if I was diligent in my water changes and bought nothing else until I upgrade, this would be fine.

Other than quite an algae pop up, they seemed fine. Only, just now, I noticed a panda cory had tattered fins! I'm scared for the little guy.

I can only think of three things:

Finrot.

My guppy is taking aim at them, but I've never seen this, and it looks like even wearing down rather than missing chunks.

I bought an algae magnet (go get one, they're fantastic!) and while rinsing the algae off a while ago, the string went slightly down the drain. Maybe some weird bacteria got in there when I cleaned the tank yesterday, but I don't think that's it. I'll replace the string anyway.

I plan on doing a water change and adding Melafix tomorrow. What do you all think I should do? Please help! I don't want my other cory to be lonely...

Thanks in advance!

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do what you're planning to do, I think you're on the right track there.

Guppies would not attack cories. Maybe he brought something from the store (sickness)?

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know... considering he's a Wal-mart fish (they just updated the tanks and moved everything... they've got new fish, too, but anyway), I checked him over to make sure he looked ok. He looks pretty good, but if it was him, I'm going to make sure he get's cured, too.

Thanks!

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi I just read your post so you may have added the melafix to your tank already but thought I would give you a thought anyway...
When you say his fins are tattered, which fins are you referring too? What kind of substrate do you have in your tank (could it be damaging his fins?) and as I know nothing about kuli loaches, how do they interact with the pandas? I really don't think there are many fish that will attack cories, but...I agree that it is not your guppy. How soon after adding the guppy did you notice this problem? I feel that it is important to examine all possibilities before you medicate, that should be a last resort. You need to clearly identify the issue so you know what you are medicating for.
I would suggest that for future purchases you use a Q tank, this can save the lives of your other fish! Trusting the quality of Walmart fish can be risky. I have a small 1.5 gallon tank that I just set up for this purpose, if you do a 50% water change in it every day at the same time, it can work since a quick set up is uncycled. (use Prime to condition the water)
Sometimes a good remedy for a fish problem, before you have a definate diagnosis is daily water changes with Prime; good clean water can often help an ailing fish out a lot.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a bronze Cory in a community tanks that had all his fins in tatters and I was getting super stressed out why this was happening. Then I witnessed for myself the culprit a bristle nosed plec! He would just pounce on the poor Cory again and again. I moved Cory to another tank and his fins healed up in no time but no way will he be going back to his original tank.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
GoGreen: Nope, I was actually just getting ready to medicate.
He was acting funny a little before the guppy, but I didn't notice the fins until after. His pectoral, dorsal, and caudal fins are affected.

I have soft aquarium sand substrate, with a few smooth rocks and the occasional slightly rough one.

The kuhlis and the pandas don't seem to mind each other; sometimes they'll push their faces together like they're kissing or they'll hang out side by side, or one will poke or make a lightning fast movement that'll scare the other. They don't attack, though.

I plan on keeping the 10 gallon when I upgrade to a 20 in a few weeks so that I have a Q tank. I thought of buying those little 5 gallon critter ones, but I didn't know if that was ok. Maybe I'll get one instead, and rid of the 10 gallon... Hmmm....

Also, I've never had a problem with a Wal-mart fish. I seem to have luck in keeping them alive. :3

Thank you!

Allibobs: I have no plecos, but I had no idea they were aggressive towards cories. D:

Last edited:

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmm...well your substrate sounds right for cories, you mentioned that he was acting funny before? In what way funny? Hopefully they truly get along fine with the loaches, I have learned from experience that one does not always see what is going on in the tank! Is he showing any other problems besides the tattered fins? (I guess this is asking again what you meant by acting funny)
Hope you can come to an informed decision about medicating or not, pandas are pretty sensitive little guys so tread with caution.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He would just lay there, breathing. No attempts for food searching or anything.

After I touched him and lightly cupped him in my hand to move him, he swam upside down, and layed sideways on the gravel. He righted himself, and I put him in a breeder box with sand. He fell on his side, breathed a hard breath or two, until his breaths were so tiny I had to stare to catch them.

Poor thing died about 5 minutes after I put the Melafix in. I should have put it in sooner... ];

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that.
I am not certain that the medicine would have saved him, aside from the tattered fins you described, I had a panda who behaved similarly, and I removed him to observe him, keep him in fresh water and nice and warm. Poor little guy didn't make it, either. A few others I had just died for no reason, very frustrating. Upon doing some more research, I have discovered that pandas are rather sensitive and hard to keep alive, also apparently my tank is too warm for them to thrive (26*C) I have one in there still and each day that he is swimming around is a bonus to me, I will not get any more of them, despite the fact I love the little guys.
Again I am sorry for your loss.
RIP little panda

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had good luck with them for awhile, and then they all started to die off.

I do know they like company, so I might just get two more or something... not til I upgrade, though.

Sorry about your little guy, too. How does the one act by himself?

Thanks for the help.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes they do like company, at least that is the typical behavior. The little loner I still have seems to be content cleaning things up on his own, though. I have two bronze cats who lounge under the log most of the day, but little bandit will be busy all over the tank, paying the two slackers no mind!
He will sometimes pile up with them, they seem to accept him to hang with, but when the bronze cats play it is just with each other, bandit is usually back at work by then.
Good luck in the future with keeping some more, I know they are so irresistible, aren't they?

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I took a peppered back to the petstore about two months ago, hoping he could be with his kind because I messed up and bought 2 kinds, and he was lonely. Seeing as they put him by himself anyway, I might just go buy him back. Obviously he's a tough guy, seeing the other two have died. Then at least if the two are lonely, they'll be lonely together.

Or should I not do that?

Anyway, I've GOT to have cories. They're amazing little guys. <3

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It might be best to wait on the new addition of cories until you have the 20 gallon set up (I know, patience!)
Reading up on the loaches you have I see that it says that they can get up to 3-4 inches in length, so with that in mind you already have enough for the 10 gallon, although their bioload is supposedly small. I am a big believer in an unstocked tank. Good for you for providing them with the best substrate for their kind!
That being said, if your loaches are still small and you are setting up the 20 gallon soon, you could either:

1. Buy back the peppered cory, I don't know how tough they are but have heard that they are more so than the pandas. Wait for the store to get more peppered cories and then get one more. I would get a Q tank to do this though!

2. Wait until you can find some bronze cories, they are tough fish and great for beginners like ourselves.Get a pair of them.

This I would do only if the loaches you have are very small, and you are getting that new tank set up right away, so in a month or so they would have a bigger home. Maybe two water changes in a week might be better with more residents in a small tank, you will have to judge this, keep an eye on the water parameters.

Otherwise, wait until your new tank is ready, then you could get a total of four cories ( again I would go bronze) which should be some company for the panda. It is true they prefer their own kind, but again, I am giving up on pandas as they just do not survive for me. Maybe your little loner will be okay as mine is (so far, fingers crossed!)

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We should be moving across the street in about a week or two, so the upgrade will be really soon.

Peppereds and Bronzed are readily available here.

The loaches I have are relatively small... 2 are about 2 inches, though one is kind of large, about 3. They like to stuff themselves behind a rock, or hang from the plastic plants like little snake monkeys. xD

I might just go buy the peppered... I'm afraid that it's stressing the Panda that he's the only one.

The pet store also has what I think are juhliis... I don't know what to do, here. :O

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you buy the peppered, then when you are ready with your new tank to get more cories, I would stick with the peppered. They would all get along but for them to play together they need to be the same kind.

Obviously I would stick with the bronze, because they are what I know works for me. Sometimes it takes a while to find out what works best in your tank.(besides the obvious of ensuring that all your fish are compatible)

It can be a hard decision, this is why so many people here get inflicted with MTS!lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom