Fin/gill Plate Injury

Shakeslady

My betta, Kabuki, somehow managed to injure himself. Still can't figure out how, but part of his left pectoral fin is missing and it looks like the outside of the gill plate is injured on the same side (small grayish-white patch). It's hard to get a good look since he's so active, but the patch on his gill plate looked slightly fuzzy when I noticed it five days ago, so I have upped his water changes to every other day (previously had been every 4-5 days) and started treating him with Paraguard since that's what I had and I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. I added an airstone on low flow since I read somewhere that medications can affect the oxygen level in the water.

The fuzziness seems to have abated (but as I said, it's hard to get a good look), but the discolored patch is still there. Otherwise, he's acting pretty normally -- maybe slightly less active yesterday morning but has been more active since I changed his water yesterday afternoon. He has a great appetite. I'll try to get some pictures later, but he's really hard to photograph.

3 gallon, heated, filtered tank. Parameters yesterday were 0,0, 5-10, ph 7.4. He has silk plants, a ceramic betta log and a HOB filter (with sponge on the intake and outflow baffled). No tankmates. He has a few minI IALs in the tank as well.

If there anything else I should be doing to help him heal? How long should I continue the Paraguard?

My betta, Kabuki, somehow managed to injure himself. Still can't figure out how, but part of his left pectoral fin is missing and it looks like the outside of the gill plate is injured on the same side (small grayish-white patch). It's hard to get a good look since he's so active, but the patch on his gill plate looked slightly fuzzy when I noticed it five days ago, so I have upped his water changes to every other day (previously had been every 4-5 days) and started treating him with Paraguard since that's what I had and I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. I added an airstone on low flow since I read somewhere that medications can affect the oxygen level in the water.

The fuzziness seems to have abated (but as I said, it's hard to get a good look), but the discolored patch is still there. Otherwise, he's acting pretty normally -- maybe slightly less active yesterday morning but has been more active since I changed his water yesterday afternoon. He has a great appetite. I'll try to get some pictures later, but he's really hard to photograph.

3 gallon, heated, filtered tank. Parameters yesterday were 0,0, 5-10, ph 7.4. He has silk plants, a ceramic betta log and a HOB filter (with sponge on the intake and outflow baffled). No tankmates. He has a few minI IALs in the tank as well.

If there anything else I should be doing to help him heal? How long should I continue the Paraguard?
You can sort of see what I'm talking about here. Ignore the white spots on his other fins. That's just glare.
IMG_20181215_093723551.jpg

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

chenchio

Well one thing I know for sure is that Betta LOVE their plants. I noticed that you have fake plants in your tank correct? Betta love to swim in between and hide in vegetation. It’s usually recommend not to use fake plants and decorations with rough, sharp, or hard edges in the tank because fish can harm themselves. It may be possible that he was injured by the plastic of the fake plants? I would suggest using something softer inside the tank. Real plants are the best way to go and help with the water quality as well. Hope that helps!

Shakeslady

Well one thing I know for sure is that Betta LOVE their plants. I noticed that you have fake plants in your tank correct? Betta love to swim in between and hide in vegetation. It’s usually recommend not to use fake plants and decorations with rough, sharp, or hard edges in the tank because fish can harm themselves. It may be possible that he was injured by the plastic of the fake plants? I would suggest using something softer inside the tank. Real plants are the best way to go and help with the water quality as well. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your reply. All of his plants are silk and passed the pantyhose test, but I'll look into getting some real plants for him the next time I'm at the pet store. Do you have any recommendations on easy care plants that do well in relatively low light?

chenchio

Thanks for your reply. All of his plants are silk and passed the pantyhose test, but I'll look into getting some real plants for him the next time I'm at the pet store. Do you have any recommendations on easy care plants that do well in relatively low light?

Here is a link to an article I found, 15 Best Low Light Plants for your Aquarium - Easy to Grow Plants - Aquarium Adviser

I agree with all of their suggestions. I personally prefer Anubias and have a lot in my tank (low light aquarium.) I like it because it’s easy to care for and the leaves spread out nicely. You can layer them in the tank to give a heavily planted aquarium feel without taking up a lot of swim room.

Edit: Although I always recommend going to a local aquarium for fish keeping store, Anubias is also available at pet stores. Lives plants usually indicate that they are “snail free” on the packaging, but if you do decide to purchase live plants from a pet store, I highly recommend plant dips before adding the plants to the tank. Most of the plants I’ve purchased from pet stores have come with snails. Just a heads up!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Ed204
Replies
Views
Chrisfish7887
Replies
Views