Fin disease in peacock gudgeons?

Slushlily

As some history, about four weeks ago, one of the corydoras in the tank suddenly died; we found it with its fins and eyes missing, so I am not if its cause of death was natural or due to an attack. Shortly thereafter, one of the male peacock gudgeons in the tank had the same problem shown in these photos- swollen, almost distorted looking edges to the pectoral and caudal fins; that gudgeon’s caudal fin appeared clamped as well- and spent about a week mostly hiding and fairly lethargic. At the same time, the female in the tank laid eggs and another male had a significant chunk of fin missing, so I had attributed the sickly gudgeon’s problems to be due to physical injury, kept an eye on him and maintained good water quality, but did not treat the tank with anything. He unfortunately ended up dying.

After this happened, the fish in these photos started to show the same physical symptoms with regard to fin edge swelling/distortion, and another male gudgeon in the tank has similar issues but to a much lesser degree (this latter one being the male with the chunk of fin missing). Happily they aren’t yet showing the hiding behavior or lethargy for the most part- with the exception of one day over the last two weeks, they come out to eat every night and still swim around the tank. But in consideration of the spread of the same fin swelling/distortion, I am now thinking it is likely some type of infection going on in the tank vs physical injury. About a week ago, I completed a course of Kanaplex and then also of Furan-2, though not concurrently- this seemed to help a little but not clear the problem up. After the meds were finished, the problem worsened again. Right now I am doing an overlapping treatment of the same and it again seems to perhaps be helping but not fully resolving the problem, and I am reluctant to throw yet more Kanaplex at them since I know it can be harmful to their internal organs.

Does anyone recognize what this might be and/or have any thoughts on next steps for treatment? Any help would be SO appreciated!!! I feel so badly for these little guys.

Attachments

• BD1C4C06-F66D-43A9-959A-AE6B60021B1D.jpeg
    BD1C4C06-F66D-43A9-959A-AE6B60021B1D.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 27
  • B616B9A7-F472-47F0-9897-422CA947D8EE.jpeg
    B616B9A7-F472-47F0-9897-422CA947D8EE.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 0C9EC848-6222-4C73-8298-6ED150BF806E.jpeg
    0C9EC848-6222-4C73-8298-6ED150BF806E.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 27

BigManAquatics

Looks like a pretty advanced case of fin rot. Probably should be doing frequent water changes, along with the treatment. How big is the tank?

Upvote 0

Slushlily

Looks like a pretty advanced case of fin rot. Probably should be doing frequent water changes, along with the treatment. How big is the tank?

It is a 29 gallon (probably about 20 gallons of water in there once substrate / plants / hardscape are accounted for). Since starting the meds, I’ve been doing 25% water changes every other day per the Furan-2 schedule. Normally (not during a med cycle) I do 20% water changes every week, but I can up that frequency (or water percentage) if that is likeliest to help these guys.

Is it typical for fin rot to set in very quickly? With all three affected fish, it seemed like the fin damage/swelling set in pretty much overnight rather than gradually worsening.

(Also, in the event that it is relevant- the shortened bottom analfin on this guy pre-exists this problem.. he damaged it a few months ago while nesting in the cavity of a piece of mopani in the tank, and it has never grown back.)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies