Fin damage

emilyyfawcett

Hello,

My betta has bad fin damage especially on his bottom fin. It started to be what looked like a bump on his fin and turned into this. For reference he is in a 10 gallon, heated, filtered, and planted tank with no tank mates. Water parameters are ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5
Photo when I first got him (unfortunately from petco) and photo now. I feel horrible and want to do everything I can to help him. Thank you

FernAndJoop

Hello! I've had similar issues, and this looks a lot like fin rot. If it was just the one fin I might think he had bit it, but in the photo of him in the tank his other fins look a bit raggedy. And since he had the bump when you first got him, I don't think he tore it. I would guess it is not your fault at all! If it was already there when you bought him, then moving in to a new tank could have caused him to just feel a little stressed (which always exacerbates issues).

Sorry if that didn't make any sense lol, but basically my guess is fin rot that was in it's early stages already.

Okay so, now that we know that we have a few different options imo. I always recommend Indian Almond Leaves or another type of tannin (like driftwood). It'll probably tint your water brown, but the fish like it! It looks like you already have piece of driftwood in there, but if you boiled it first there won't be anymore tannins in it.

Next, you'll want to make sure there's nothing else dangerous in the tank--things like making sure the filter flow is gentle enough, any decorations that were rough have been filed down, etc. I also like API stress coat plus, but I've seen mixed reviews on it so it's up to you if you want to try it.

Essentially the 2 most common causes of fin rot are stress and poor water quality, and assuming your pH and temp are both reasonable the only thing that could be wrong is he's just a tad stressed. Hope this helps!!

emilyyfawcett

Hello! I've had similar issues, and this looks a lot like fin rot. If it was just the one fin I might think he had bit it, but in the photo of him in the tank his other fins look a bit raggedy. And since he had the bump when you first got him, I don't think he tore it. I would guess it is not your fault at all! If it was already there when you bought him, then moving in to a new tank could have caused him to just feel a little stressed (which always exacerbates issues).

Sorry if that didn't make any sense lol, but basically my guess is fin rot that was in it's early stages already.

Okay so, now that we know that we have a few different options imo. I always recommend Indian Almond Leaves or another type of tannin (like driftwood). It'll probably tint your water brown, but the fish like it! It looks like you already have piece of driftwood in there, but if you boiled it first there won't be anymore tannins in it.

Next, you'll want to make sure there's nothing else dangerous in the tank--things like making sure the filter flow is gentle enough, any decorations that were rough have been filed down, etc. I also like API stress coat plus, but I've seen mixed reviews on it so it's up to you if you want to try it.

Essentially the 2 most common causes of fin rot are stress and poor water quality, and assuming your pH and temp are both reasonable the only thing that could be wrong is he's just a tad stressed. Hope this helps!!
Wow this is great thank you so so much!! I have tannins in one of my other tanks that naturally came from a piece of drift wood so I will order some Indian Almond Leaf (I’ve seen a concentrated powder from Bay Area Bettas). I will also try the stress coat, I have used that in the past. Thank you again SOO much!!

FernAndJoop

Yeah of course! My betta has what I call chronic fin rot so I'm well versed in the most common treatments lol. I'm starting aquarium salt soon though, which I would recommend as a next step if the other things don't work. Oh and I really like the IALs from Josh's Frogs but I'm sure any tannin would do! Best of luck, and lets hope the little guy starts feeling better soon.

emilyyfawcett

Thank you so much! If you remember let me know how the aquarium salt works. I’ll keep Josh’s frogs IALs in mind too! Hope your lil guy gets better as well

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisheye
Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fisch
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleTailHalfMoonBetta
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Fin rot, nipping or tear?
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon

New Betta Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom