Fin and tail rot?

1. goldenrod1967 Initiate Member

Hello- I have a young albino oscar who I'm afraid may have the beginnings of fin and tail rot. There was initially one area which I thought may have been a little injury, but now there are more frayed areas although no white spots or anything. He shares a 55 gal. tank with a large silver dollar and a bushy nose pleco, who show no symptoms. If this is fin and tail rot, should I remove him to a hospital tank to treat him or treat the whole community tank as a precaution since the others were exposed? I really appreciate any help!!

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Usually you just treat the affected fish and then watch the others for signs of trouble. Any time you can keep from using medication on a fish they are better off so if only one of the fish is sick try the safer approach and treat only him. That way if you need to use the same medication on the others later they won't be acclimated to it and it will have a better chance of working. Kind of like building up a resistance to penicillin.

One persons opinion. Someone else may have a differing one.

Rose
    :)

3. goldenrod1967 Initiate Member

Thank you for your response, Rose....I know it's hard to tell from just a description, but does this actually sound like rot? There's just one area that looks like there's a bite taken out of it, and one other area that looks frayed. I value any opinions and input I can get!!
    Lisa

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! I would go ahead and medicate him in a separate tank if you have one. Try using Maracyn I and II together to help him heal and to help prevent him from getting a secondary infection. Like Chickadee said, it's better if you can put the sick or hurt fish in a hospital tank. It's also a lot cheaper to medicate in a 10 gal. tank that it is in a 55 gal.

5. goldenrod1967 Initiate Member

Thank you both so much for your advice- I plan to get my spare tank ready and get started medicating in the morning. I'll keep in touch and let you know how he does!! Thanks again-
    Lisa