Filtration Question

1. Roger172

Roger172 New Member Member

I posted about losing fish. I ended up getting test strips and all of my parameters were in a safe range. I’m beginning to think I have an overstock issue and filtration wasn’t sufficient. Today I bout an aqueon 90 gallon filter. I have a 40 gallon tank and had a penguin bio wheel 200. Only con so far is filter is definetly a lot louder than the bio wheel.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

What exact number did you get? The test strips are really inaccurate. They can go to waste fast and only have very little in a pack. I’d recommend you get the API liquid master kit. It’s accurate and cheaper in the long run.

What fish and how many do you have in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Roger172

Roger172 New Member Member

I had 2 clown loaches, 2 platys, and about 15-20 guppies. Went away for the night and came home and a clown and platy died. Noticed for a few days the one clown was attacking the other when they saw it. Maybe they knew it was sick but the day before I left it was swimming towards the top.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

If all your paramaters were safe you had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites which would of also meant your filteration was enough.

Clowns are schooling fish so not having a proper school might cause aggression