Filtration Questions Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Jyl080208, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

Hello,

I was wondering about getting some help with a few filtration questions. I have a 29 gallon tank with a aqueon quietflow 30 filter, some biomax, a small filter cartridge (for quarantine ready), some purigen, (all inside the box). Besides that I have a pre-filter sponge and a sponge filter. Both these only ever get washed out in tank water.

Now for my first question: Does this seem like enough filtration?

2. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Yes that sounds fine to me. Never over stuff filter, but fit as much as you can comfortably. As long as you have machanical,chemical, and biological you are good to go
    That's not to say don't add anymore, just saying should work fine as it is

But always wait for a few answers, some others may think differently or be much more experienced and have a recommendation or two lol

I have filter floss, lava rocks, carbon insert and sponges in mine. And it's great for me

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  3. Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

Ok, now for my second question: Do you think I would be fine switching out the large filter cartridge for the quietflow 30? That one has been in there since January and its starting to fall apart. I would just switch that one for now.

4. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

What I would do is add new cartrage and keep as much of the old in as well if possible. Even if you have to cut it all apart. Just to help seed your new cartrage

5. Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

6. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry I think I misunderstood what the question was. So you have biomass, a large cartridge,and puragyn inside the filter, right?then you want to take out the entire cartrage and replace with new? My question would be how long has your tank been cycled and if it's been established for a while the just simply replacing it should be fine, but if it's new then I would cut up old cartrage and put in with new cartrage

7. Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

Its been cycled for a few months. Started the tank in January

8. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Has it been cycled since January or you set it up January and the cycle happened after? Basicly the only reason I ask is because you bb is writhing the filter so if you throw out the whole cartrage even though you have biomass a LOT the the bb may be on the cartrage, so to be safe I would buy new cartrage and clean it in declorinate water or tank water, put it in filter, then chop up old cartrage and add it to filter with new one for a week or so just to be safem that's my suggestion.

9. Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

Ok, I can try that

10. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

I just saw that you said you have two cartrage in there, if that's the case you can safely change out one for a new one. Sorry I missed the party that you had two

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice