Filtration question

Jman

Reaction score
I have a 36 gallon bow front and I am currently running an AC 50 filter. I would like to increase my filtration. Which would be better, an upgrade to an AC 70 or 110 or just add a 20, 30 or another 50 to the other side? Would this cause too much current for the fish?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you're not that far off from efficient filtration. You would like to have about 8x you tank volume so about 280-360 gph is fine and you have 200 gph with your AC50. Two filters is fine, just might look a little crowded on your 36 gallon.

I suggest the new gold standard in filters, the Seachem Tidal filters for just some of the following advantages: Self priming w/submerged pump so it’s quiet and will always start after a power failure or maintenance, removable no spill media basket for easy cleaning and locks in place and won’t push up flooding your floor, variable flow control from 20-100% in 10% increments, built in skimmer, self cleaning impeller and comes with the best bio media, Seachem Matrix to help with nitrate reduction.

The Seachem Tidal 75 at 350 gph would be perfect. Kens Fish has them for only $63 with free shipping.

Jman

Reaction score
I read that you could change the impeller from the 50 with a 70 how accurate is this? Would this be the same filtration as the actual AC 70?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jman said:
I read that you could change the impeller from the 50 with a 70 how accurate is this? Would this be the same filtration as the actual AC 70?
I have heard that also and it should work. Only issue that folks report is the extra 100 gph may push up the filter media thus flooding your room. Need to make sure that never happens.

Jman

Reaction score
Yeah I'd rather not risk it. I may indeed look into the Tidal 75. If I did switch to that, how would you recommend I switch given that all the bacteria is on the AC 50?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom