Filtration Question

someperson

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI all I'm using a marineland emperor 400 for the filtration on my 55 gallon cichlid tank (mostly stocked with peacock cichlids, 10 total but some are small) and am wondering if I should add another one. I've heard I should be aiming to 550GPH. If I do need more, I have an old Aquatech 30-60 (it's about 5-10 years old, was running on this tank previously). Would that be enough together? Together it's about 730GPH I think. If not I could buy another emperor 400. It took me forever to get used to the emperor since I have a weird fear of aquarium pumps

Oh and these were my parameters last time I tested the water: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 nitrates.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you're not that shy of what you need. 440-550gph is what is recommended. Adding that Aquatech would be just fine.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your system doesn't seem to be struggling from lack of filtration and waste and water flow, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to meet "ideals."

OP
someperson

someperson

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you everyone for the replies. I tend to overthink the ideal stuff lol

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
someperson said:
Thank you everyone for the replies. I tend to overthink the ideal stuff lol
Ideals are often stressed in the fish hobby, so that's understandable.

Benfreshwater

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If between your filtration and whatever current water cleaning routine you have your keeping your levels correct then your fish are in the best place for them already. More filtration won't make any difference unless you change whatever water routine you already do. (until maybe all your cichlids are fully grown or you add more).. in turn they'll produce more waste I would assume

New Threads