Filtration opinions ??

1. insanejim69 Initiate Member

At the moment I have a 180 litre eheim tank. And with the contents and substrate its around 165 litres of water actually in the tank.

I am running an external Eheim Ecco Pro 130 along with an internal Fluval U4. At the moment everything is fine, but I have just ordered a Eheim Pro 2224 filter to replace my internal one (to keep this neat and tidy) .

My question is, would it be ok to just run the new Eheim 2224 on its own (after 4-6 weeks), or would I be better to just have both externals running together all the time ??

Also when removing my internal U4 ....... I assume I would take the biomax out of it and put it into the new Eheim 2224 to help colonise it quicker ??

James

:)

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, moving the bio media will help the process quite a bit.

What I would do is to take the internal filter out and add the media to the new filter, run both the old Pro 130 along with the new 2224 for a good month plus, then you would end up with two colonized filters.

Or you could just take all the media out and put it all into the new filter and call it a day and shelf the others for future use.

3. insanejim69 Initiate Member

Many thanks once again. :) .

So by running both along side, what other benefits would I see to my water apart from better bacteria colonization. ?? Clearer and more healthy water for the fish ?

many thanks

James

:)

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

over filtration allows the bio mass to kinda take it easier, plus you also get the benefit if for some reason one filter fails you have the backup in place and running to pick up the slack. You also can use media from them to seed other tanks once your tanks age a bit.