Filtration Noise Level Making Me Crazy

RickyRicardo1838

20190525_183108.jpg
Screenshot_20190527-115408_eBay.jpg Hey everyone I'm looking for advice or recommendations on what to do for filtration for my 150 gallon tank. I currently have the 3 of the overhead trickle filters in the picture, but the noise they are making is insane. The actual trickle of the water is not loud at all, it's the noise made from the spray bar, and from the drain at the bottom. Is there much I can do to reduce the noise from this? Would drilling the holes bigger on the spray bar help? I'm honestly considering throwing the trickle filters away and going with something else, I would do a canister as they've been really quiet for me in the past but my tank is pretty heavily stocked and the mechanical filtration on the trickle filters clogs about once a week, but what I like about the trickle filters is that my flow is not reduced and as soon as I see water going to the overflow I know it's time to change the mechanical filtration. But in a canister filter once the mechanical filtration clogs the flow is reduced and it can be hard to tell sometimes, and I don't want to be opening the canister every week to replace filter floss to make sure the flow is not reduced. Unfortunately I can't do a sump, however an overhead sump has been on my mind. I sometimes feel like giving away my fish and replace them with shrimp and just throw in some sponge filters lol. Sorry if this turned into a long rant but I've just been frustrated with the noise my tank is making. Any help is appreciated

AmStatic

20190525_183108.jpg
Screenshot_20190527-115408_eBay.jpg Hey everyone I'm looking for advice or recommendations on what to do for filtration for my 150 gallon tank. I currently have the 3 of the overhead trickle filters in the picture, but the noise they are making is insane. The actual trickle of the water is not loud at all, it's the noise made from the spray bar, and from the drain at the bottom. Is there much I can do to reduce the noise from this? Would drilling the holes bigger on the spray bar help? I'm honestly considering throwing the trickle filters away and going with something else, I would do a canister as they've been really quiet for me in the past but my tank is pretty heavily stocked and the mechanical filtration on the trickle filters clogs about once a week, but what I like about the trickle filters is that my flow is not reduced and as soon as I see water going to the overflow I know it's time to change the mechanical filtration. But in a canister filter once the mechanical filtration clogs the flow is reduced and it can be hard to tell sometimes, and I don't want to be opening the canister every week to replace filter floss to make sure the flow is not reduced. Unfortunately I can't do a sump, however an overhead sump has been on my mind. I sometimes feel like giving away my fish and replace them with shrimp and just throw in some sponge filters lol. Sorry if this turned into a long rant but I've just been frustrated with the noise my tank is making. Any help is appreciated
Wow I love your tank.

The second didn't load for me.

Once I went canister, I don't think I could use anything else. It's so quiet I forget the pumps are running except for the ripples at the surface and the light tinkling of water.

I don't open mine but once per 4-6 weeks for cleaning sponges... I don't see much reduction of flow between those open times.

RickyRicardo1838

Thank you, yeah that is true I don't remember actually opening my canister that often to clean it, I do have a spare sun sun in storage and I would probably get another canister to help it.

NavyChief20

Why can't you do a sump?

RickyRicardo1838

Why can't you do a sump?
Honestly I'm just not very knowledgeable on how to set one up, but the way the top of my tank is built to would make it hard to attach a HOB overflow and I can't drill the tank.

NavyChief20

Honestly I'm just not very knowledgeable on how to set one up, but the way the top of my tank is built to would make it hard to attach a HOB overflow and I can't drill the tank.
I guarantee you it would not be hard to attach an overflow. If I were to guess, I would say 1 tee, 5 elbows, 1 cap and some pipe. Easy day.

RickyRicardo1838

I guarantee you it would not be hard to attach an overflow. If I were to guess, I would say 1 tee, 5 elbows, 1 cap and some pipe. Easy day.
I'll look more into them, I would love to have a sump, it's just very intimidating as someone that doesn't know anything about the plumbing lol

NavyChief20

I'll look more into them, I would love to have a sump, it's just very intimidating as someone that doesn't know anything about the plumbing lol
Fortunately for you, ive got a lot of experience with them. We can have a chat and ill walk you through it.

RickyRicardo1838

Fortunately for you, ive got a lot of experience with them. We can have a chat and ill walk you through it.
That would be great!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lovecich
Replies
Views
appcontrol
Replies
Views
Jackiecharm
Replies