Filtration Idea For A Pond Looking For Any Tips

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So my mom got a 125 gallon pond for mother's day 3 years ago and it has 17 goldfish, but she didn't ever get a filter. They range in size from 3 to 7 inches, but they're doing fine for now. This year I decided to make her a waterfall type diy filter, where water is pumped out over rocks and plants then falls back in. What I'm having trouble with is designing a pre prefilter because of all the debris. I'll be using a tetra pond 325 gph pump that comes with a prefilter, but I want a second layer to prevent clogging. What I'm thinking is basically to put it in a container with sides replaced with plastic canvas. Any ideas of a better way to pump water up? Maybe use sponge insetad to cover the sides?
I know the pond is overstocked as well, but this should add a bit to the stocking potential, and we're looking into options to re-home or spread out the fish.

OP
Donovan Jones

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the replies! I'll watch the vids when I'm home after work. The part I'm most worried about is the pump being clogged by debris. We get leaves from surrounding bushes and long skinny pine tree needles mostly.
Do u think that the cage idea will work?
@Magicpenny75 I'm not entirely sure I'm visuallising what you mean right. Could you do a quick doodle or pic if you use it?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's this thing. You put your pump on it and it draws water through. All the above ideas would work great, I am sure, but as a woman, homemaker, mother, gardener, and slightly OCD about the visuals around my tanks, I could not live with a rubbermaid tub on top of my pond. So this is what I would do...
Any filter is going to need maintenance, but IMO if you spread the draw area out it'll take longer for it to get clogged maybe?

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So my mom got a 125 gallon pond for mother's day 3 years ago and it has 17 goldfish, but she didn't ever get a filter. They range in size from 3 to 7 inches, but they're doing fine for now. This year I decided to make her a waterfall type diy filter, where water is pumped out over rocks and plants then falls back in. What I'm having trouble with is designing a pre prefilter because of all the debris. I'll be using a tetra pond 325 gph pump that comes with a prefilter, but I want a second layer to prevent clogging. What I'm thinking is basically to put it in a container with sides replaced with plastic canvas. Any ideas of a better way to pump water up? Maybe use sponge insetad to cover the sides?
I know the pond is overstocked as well, but this should add a bit to the stocking potential, and we're looking into options to re-home or spread out the fish.
Hello DJ...

A filter system isn't going to do much to keep the water clean. At best, it will help mix oxygen into the water. You'll need to remove and replace most of the water at least monthly. This will remove the pollutants and replace the oxygen and minerals that are used by the fish. I have a 300 gallon above ground tank and it has no filter system. I do have a pile of lava rock in one end of the tank to act as a home for the beneficial bacteria that removes ammonia and nitrite. I remove and replace half the water monthly and the fish are fine.

Old

OP
Donovan Jones

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know it won't make the water so that it doesn't need changed, but right now there's no flow, so I'm just hoping to remove some nitrates and add ofygen and more sa, in addition to maybe growing some veggies. Whenever we're going to get rain, I do a pwc filling it halfway back to full with well water and the rain for the rest.

Regular_fishkeeper

Reaction score
This is a link to my pond
I use a 20l bucket filled with sponges , tiles and scrubbies and also use a lot of Hornwort its the best detritus collector ever ..all you have to do is wait for a few days. Take out the hornwort and rinse it outside put it back in , ready to collect more detritus. Best part is it grows like crazy and is super hardy

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can have a container (eg something like a milk crate) wrapped in polyester quilt batting material, or wrap the pump itself. This will serve to keep the pump free of some particle matter.

You can also make a container where you put the pump inside, and all all those same materials like the batting or sponges, help filter matter before it gets to the pump. With a container like this, then you'll need a way for water to get into the container, and then get pumped back out. The videos provided in this thread should give some good ideas.

Leaves from nearby trees could also be skimmed off before they begin sinking into your pond. Look for surface skimmer DIY ideas or commercial products for that option.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom