Filtration GPH

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

We talk alot about proper filtration here on the forum.

I'm currently running a check on the filtration gph of all of my tanks. It's been a little tough pulling up the gph of some of my older filters.

What if we had a thread with the gph of different types of filters?

I'm hoping this may make it easier for members to find filtration gph when setting up new tanks, especially on Craigslist finds where the filter may be an older model.

I did a search and couldn't find anything "condensed". Did I miss it?

I have around 10 different types of filters to get it started;D

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm with you, I've seen lots of info but it's been scattered. I really like your idea and would happily contribute anything I can. :)

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That sounds like a great idea. :)

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we divide it into categories?
    For example,
    hang on back filters (shoot for 8-10x turnover per hour)........
    canister filters (shoot for 5x or more turnover per hour)........

Might help to debunk some of the crazy manufacturer ratings for our newer members! :D

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Sweet! I'll get it started under the "Filters" section. If it gets really long (which it might), I'm pretty slick with Excel, so I could easily set up a spreadsheet for ease of use.

That's an awesome idea, Harpua;D. I'll make sure I include that.

Thank you ladies for your quick response and support:;hug2

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I think a spreadsheet sounds fantastic. I'll do some Googling and see what I can come up with for different makes/models that I'm less familiar with.

One more thing- should we separate by brand, listing flow rates for each brand's different models, or should we separate by flow rate as a sort of product comparison? Maybe throw in estimated cost?

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If you two want to put something together that would be great.
    We can sticky it in the filtration section of the forum so it stays on top.

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Anyone else wanna join in? :D

I know we have a whole lot of users that have different filters than I've used! (UK folks- I'm looking your way... we don't have Juwel tanks here!) :p

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks! I started it by brand, BUT if I get an Excel spreadsheet set up, wouldn't everyone be able to sort it? I like estimated cost, but would it be close to being the same countrywide and worldwide?

I have the thread started, but I'm also going to start a spreadsheet as well.

That's right! We want this to be a WORLDWIDE help:;hug2

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If anyone wants to add info, BB started the thread here:
    Gallons Per Hour Filtration

Edit:
    Once you get the spread sheet, we can edit or whatever needs to be done to make the sticky neater. :)

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Wonderful idea BB. I added some of mine that weren't on the list.
    Happy Holidays!:;santaclaus
    Ken