20 Gallon Tank Filtration For Betta Fry

RichTino

So my betta fry are 10 weeks old and I was unsure for the whole 10 weeks and still unsure now on whether to turn on the water filter in the tank or not .. I just started this week using the air pump to oxygenate the tank ..
The reason for me being so unsure was because I don't want to hurt my baby betta fry or damage them.. With the filter because they are still so small I do not want them to be sucked into the filter and be killed .. Please if you can give me some reassurance that this is safe and that I have nothing to worry about with cutting on the tank filter .. Thank you .

jkkgron2

Depends on the type of filter. What type is it?

StarGirl

They have small sponges you can put on the filter intake. They are called pre filter sponges. Then they wont get sucked up. I think most people use a sponge filter in fry tanks, especially for Bettas that don't like a bunch of current.

RichTino

jkkgron2 said:
Depends on the type of filter. What type is it?
Im using a 20 gallon Aqueon filter the ones than hang on the side of the tanks ..

RichTino

StarGirl said:
They have small sponges you can put on the filter intake. They are called pre filter sponges. Then they wont get sucked up. I think most people use a sponge filter in fry tanks, especially for Bettas that don't like a bunch of current.
I was looking for one but unfortunately I could not find one at the moment and still can not find one that filters a 20 gallon tank .. Also I would want to purchase the sponge filter online but Amazon didn't have any in stock at the moment ..

StarGirl

So you have not had a filter running this whole time?

RichTino

StarGirl said:
So you have not had a filter running this whole time?
Nope .. Not exactly .. I had it run like for 10 mins once and I was too afraid .. Thats when they were all just 3 weeks old .. Don't bash me for not doing it, as I said I was afraid ..

StarGirl

They are still alive, so are you doing a lot of water changes then? Now that they are getting bigger they will have bigger poops. I don't bash people it's ok, just try to help. :)

RichTino

StarGirl said:
They are still alive, so are you doing a lot of water changes then? Now that they are getting bigger they will have bigger poops. I don't bash people it's ok, just try to help. :)
Yes they are all still alive but let me just say that they all were eating each other and who haven't ate each other have ate themselves to being bloated and died .. So now I'm left with like 8 betta fry in a 20 gallon tank .. Keep in mind I was feeding them all BBS from they were free swimming and about 2 times a day so I never understood why they were eating each other .. Until I separated them in some tanks and kept an eye on who was getting big to place in the 20 gallon again I had to feed them all according to size ..
Fast forward and like from the 37 or so that was left they either ate too much Brine Shrimp or haven't been eating the shrimp at all ..

Yes I do daily water changes from when they were 4 weeks old of only 80% of the water change .. All the water is actually pure rain water that I have conditioned with Prime and added about 10 aquarium salts by hand into the water per gallon .. Also let me also say that I'm currently in a tropical climate so I don't need a water heater in which the water always stays between 78 and 83 degrees Fahrenheit

StarGirl

I would say feed them less if they are fat and try to separate them if they are being aggressive like you have. Keep doing your water changes until you get your pre-filter sponge for your filter intake. Im not so sure your filter will be the same as it was since it has been turned off for so long. Know what I mean?

RichTino

StarGirl said:
I would say feed them less if they are fat and try to separate them if they are being aggressive like you have. Keep doing your water changes until you get your pre-filter sponge for your filter intake. Im not so sure your filter will be the same as it was since it has been turned off for so long. Know what I mean?
I understand and yes I turned on the filter today .. Its still a brand new filter I only cut on to do the nitrogen cycle for the tank but it is still relatively new .. Filter cartridge is still clean and I managed to squeeze in an Aqua Clear zeo-carb bag into it .. It is and active clean carbon and ammonia remover in one .. I do still use the air pump to make sure the water doesn't have any oil film

StarGirl

I would use a air stone still. So you are running the filter now? It may not be cycled anymore. Do you have tests for ammonia and Nitrates?

Top Bottom