Filtration for 50 gallon tank Help

1. Jeffyjj Initiate Member

I would like to have a canister filter for my 50 gallon tank housing an adult Red Devil Cichlid.I would like to purchase fluval fx 6 because of its advanced features.Will this over filter my aquarium.Please give me suggestions in selecting the canister filter.I have space only for one filter and I don't want Hob's or internal filters.

2. millca Member Member

I'm not familiar with that canister but a lot of us on Fishlore really like out SunSun canister filters which are very inexpensive on eBay and Amazon. I have the Sun Sun 304B filter for my 54G goldfish tank. Definitely worth comparing to Fluval.

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Jeffyjj, i usually recommend running a large HOB and canister in tandem. The FX6 is a great filter if you have a healthy budget, but an Aquatop or Sunsun canister filter would suffice in your 55 gallon tank. Since you only want a canister filter, I would recommend the larger model Aquatop or Sunsun canister filters.

4. TankMaster25 Member Member

I highly recommend a Eheim canister filter, it costs very little and it does the best job. It will keep your tank at regular water parameters and wont over filter.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I've never said this before, but that's waaaaaay too much filter. An FX6 is rated for up to 400 gallons. It's a beast. It's also $350. The FX6 is a superb filter, but it's unnecessary on a 50.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I use the biggest SunSun (525 GPH) on my 40 breeder Jack Dempsey tank. Works great, and it was only 85 bucks! :)

7. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I also love the Sunsun canister filters. I have the HW-302 on my 40 gallon and it does a great job. Super quiet, tons of media space, and super cheap. It is rated for tanks up to 75 gallon, but I think a 50-55 would be ideal. Only cost me $50 US including shipping.