Filtration for 180 gallon arowana tank

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey guys. So I am considering a black arowana or a silver arowana. I also want to add a stingray and some green severums.

I am considering filtration right now and that has become a big speed bump. right now I am considering a fluval fx5 rated for 400 gallons at 607 GPH. But it gets a bit pricey at $330.

The person i am purchasing the tank from suggested a wet dry with an overflow box. He said this might be the cheaper and better solution.

I wanted to hear your suggestions on this.

Thanks
Larry

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO wet/dry is always the best way to go as long as there is no small fish to go over the top. the real cost with a trickle filter is the pump to move the water back to the top..that being said the fluval fx5 is a very nice filter.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I agree with Goldwing Don on the wet/dry filters. I have one (in addition to other filtration) on my 265g tank. It's powered by a Mag Drive Pump w/950gph. Photos below:

Also here is a link to the pump that powers it:

a link to the over flow box connected to the wet/dry:

Keep in mind the overflow box has to have the same gallons per hour (GPH) or higher than the pump. My overflow box has dual sponges. My pump is rated for 950gph and my overflow box is rated at 1000gph.

Ken

Attachments

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So. I will look into the wet dry system. So is the fluval not enough for the arowana in the 180 gal?

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't see a wet dry/overflow box/pump being cheaper than a Fluval FX5.
How big do the Arowana's get? 180g seems small for one IMO.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know I have read that 180g is too small for a silver arro, not sure about how big your species get but 2 seems like too much for a tank that size.

Here is a quote from the species profile page.

"The Arowana requires at least a 200 gallon (750 liters) tank to adequately keep them. You also need an excellent aquarium filter such as an external canister filter. Arowanas are also excellent jumpers so you will need a good, tight fitting hood with no escape holes. In the wild, the Silver Arowana can jump out of the water at insects and small animals on overhanging branches."

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey

I appreciate your concern. But have already figured out most of how I want the setup to be. So now I need help deciding on filtration. I will deal with the tank size issue when it becomes a problem. I will be buying a juvenile black or silver arowana to grow out so I have time to figure out what will happen in the future.

I'd like to return to the subject at hand which is filtration.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If cost is an issue,you can build an overflow box,then use a used tank or rubbermaid tub for the sump. The major cost in doing this is the pump.You can do all this for around $100.

EDIT:
Here are a couple links that may help,

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Your filtration GPH (gallons per hour) should be 8 to 10 x the volume of your tank if you use HOB (hang on back) filters. So for a 180g tank you're looking at 1800 gph filtration.

For canister filters it's recommended that your GPH be 5 to 8 x the volume of your tank,
180 x 5 = 900 gph
180 x 8 = 1440 gph

For a wet/dry system I can only tell you my experience. I used the wet/dry on my 155g tank with a 950gph mag drive, and it did a wonderful job. Mag Drive Pumps can go as high as 2400 gph. I recommend no less than 1200gph for a 180g tank.

Keep in mind that more filtration is always better. However, you don't want so much filtration that your fish are being blown around the tank. For large fish and heavy populated tanks I definitely suggest going higher with the gph.

For my 265g tank I use the wet/dry with the 950 mag drive, 3 Aqua Clear 110's HOB @ 500gph each = 1500gph total and 1 Aqua Clear 70 @ 300gph for a grand total of 2750 gph. So I'm a little more than 10 x my tank volume of 265g.

Ken

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey,

Thanks for all the great information. This will really help. The less outlets used the better it is for me. I will go with a 1200 gph mag drive and probably make my own sump out of a rubber maid from home depot. I will probably put a power head in the tank for some extra circulation. Silence is important for me so I will try to keep it simple. Ill let you know how it goes.

One last question. Any opinions on plumbing?

Thanks
Larry

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

The over flow box that hangs on back of my tank has two hoses that connect to the filter box below the tank (the out flow). Then the pump has two hoses going into the tank (the in flow).

Ken

andy123

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
for ease of use go with the wet /dry filter. reason being say you end up spending the same money on a wet/ dry and that fx5. well with the wet/dry if you under rated or want to expand a bit you can on the fx5 is fixed in the amount of water your filtering. Also I have read the fx5 is horrible for cleaning out and you end up taking out all the bacteria from the filter when you change the sponges. I have never owned an fx5 but I did have a wet dry on a huge central system and loved it. also look on craigslist in your area alot of people are getting rid of there old systems and you could find them cheap these days. might be scratched up but no one will see it anyway...

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my own opinion, I'd recommend a 1400-1500 gph mag drive because of the kinds of fish you're planning to have in the tank. As Ken mentioned, the more filtration, the better.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just ordered the largest one with a mag 18. what you think?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

It looks like everything you need is there Yeah!!!! I can give you one tip now. I see that it comes with a filter pad. I use 100% poly Quilting Batting Material for my filter floss. It comes in rolls and you can purchase it at WalMart. Much cheaper than buying replacement pads. It has no dyes or other additives. You can cut it to fit.

I also use a(50) micron filter pad that does an amazing job as well. I place it on top of the filter floss (batting material). Then I have a 1" thick 12x12" pond filter pad on top of that, then the white plate. The micron filter pad can be soaked in bleach/water solution and it comes clean to the point it looks like new. This pad will clog also. After I soak it in the bleach/water solution I change the water and add Amquel + to fresh water to remove any remaining bleach in the pad, then let it air dry and it's ready to use again. This pad also comes in sheets. I think the one I have is 36x36" or so. So you can get several pads out of this and they hold up well.

The pads and floss do clog over a period of time and you may get a slight backwash onto the white plate. So don't freak out if you happen to see a puddle of water there. Check your connections and check your floss. I don't depend on my floss or filter pad for bio media purposes. That is what the blue bio balls are for. Your tank will stay much cleaner by changing the pads more often.

Keep us posted.
Ken

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the advice and approval. I am not surprised that walmart would have something so appropriate for filtering. Ill look into the quilting material as replacement media. Once I get the system running I can check how its working and maybe try your suggestions.

Thanks Again!
Larry

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its here!!! I got the eshopps with the mag 18. Now all I have to do is wait for the wood stand to arrive and I can begin to fill the tank with water and set up the wet dry!

Look on to my 180 gal thread in members tanks section to follow the progress.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom