Filtration for 165 gallon tank.

Bad Wolf

HI Guys!

It's been a while since I've posted here, so it's nice to be back. I will soon be upgrading my 55 gallon community tank into a 165 gallon community tank. I've never had a canister filter (even though at 55 gallons, I should be using one) so this is very new to me. Earlier last year, I considered an Eheim Canister Filter 2215 for my 55 gallons and it seemed to be sufficient as far as my research went. Now, this is a BIG upgrade, so I'm just wondering what filtration is recommended.

I've heard that a canister filter ideally should have a flow rate (gallons per hour) between four and eight times that of the aquarium size, so between 650 and 1300 gallons per hour roughly. Is this an appropriate guide? I know there's a lot more to a filter than just the flow rate, but is this a good basic guide?

I've read that the Eheim 2217 is capable of filtering up to 150 gallons, so I know this would be at capacity and not recommended. I'm considering two Eheim 2217 filters, full media of course. What are people's opinions of this?

Would two Eheim 2217s be enough filtration for a well stocked 165 gallon tank?
Also, would two 300 watt heaters be enough heating?

Let me know what you guys think, or if you have ANY other recommendations/ideas towards the filtration of the tank, please let me know

Machine11

I would definitely go with at least 2 canisters on a tank that size.
Have you considered the possibility of a sump filter? I've never had a sump before but a tank that size it would definitely be in consideration I would think

freak78

The Fluval fx6 would be a good choice too. I run one of those along with two penguin 350s on my 125.

Amanda

With my 150 I did a canister & a 20 gal. sump

Chunk101

Well, 2 Eheim 2217 combined flow rate would be about 400 gal per hour. Less than what you're looking for.
However, someone on this forum had mentioned that with bigger tanks, you need less gal per hour. I think the reasoning was that with bigger tanks, you have a lot more surface area. I don't know how accurate this info is but you might want to look into it.

matsungit

How about 2 Sunsun HW304Bs? That's a total of 1050gph. You can pack them full of Seachem Matrix. Two 300w heaters is a good idea.

freak78

I run two Aqueon pro 250w heaters and they have no problems keeping my tank 80 degrees.

Bad Wolf

If I were to go a sump filter, what would be the set up? Ie. What size sump?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Finatic005
Replies
Views
BadBeans
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views