Filtration For 125g Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Robes, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Robes Valued Member Member

Hello! Have a 125 gallon thats getting set back up and I'm looking into my options for filter setups, I know an fx4 would get the job done but thats a bit higher cost than i want to go right now. I was looking at possibly two AC 110s, i know thats on the lower side of flowrate for this size of tank but do you think it would manage? Or what might be some other hobs/canisters that would be a good choice? My end goal will be to setup a sump for it, but as it is right now thats not an option.

2. Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

3. Robes Valued Member Member

Thats actually what I'm planning on putting in there :D Those are loads cheaper than what i had found (not sure how i didnt see them though >.<) and if two can keepup just fine thats even better, Thanks!

4. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

AC110's are 500gph each. They'll give you about 8X turnover rate, which is plenty.

5. Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

There is plenty of room to use your own media. I use Poret Filter Foam from Swiss Tropicals & Fluval Bio Rings.

6. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

If you're on a budget, you can get Tidal 110's on sale for $62 at kensfish.com.

While shopping at Ken's, pick up 2- ATI "Hydro Sponge Pro V" and place them in the back corners. Run them of an airpump, like a Fluval Q1 or Tetra Whisper 100.

How is the 125 stocked?

7. Robes Valued Member Member

The plan right now for it is 1 oscar, 1 JD and some silver dollars. The JD is iffy though since my LFS is hit or miss on having them.

8. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

If you take a look at some of their personal fish room tour videos on the YouTube channel "Prime Time Aquatics", you will see that Jason runs ATI sponge filters on all of his tanks, with the occasional Penguin 350 HOB to supplement.

Even his 75g, 125g and 150g tanks are set up that way.

That channel has TONs of great info, backed by science. That dude is a university professor and a breeder.

9. Robes Valued Member Member

I actually just found that channel this morning and been browsing through it all day, he does have a ton of good info in it. After browsing through it and some other places, and seeing you alls advice I'm probably going to follow that route of two of the ATI sponge filters, and a penguin 350 to get started, and depending, add to it down the road if needed as the fish grow out