Filtration for 1/2 gallon tank

ravoorib

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently got a 1/2 gallon fishbowl for my molly fry and I have 5 baby mollies in it now. I have some gravel, some river rocks along with a small plastic plant in it. I find that the tank gets a little messy with uneaten food and fish waste. The baby fish tend to bite small pieces from the food flakes and spit them back out which then get easily lost in the gravel and starts decaying.

Is there a way to keep the bowl clean in this situation?

I do not want to change the water too often to avoid shocking the fish!

Thanks,
B

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, and welcome to Fishlore. I'm afraid that a 1/2 gallon bowl isn't an appropriate home for your fry. Is an upgrade a possibility?

Since you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, you definitely want to read up on it. There's a link in my signature.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome, I've seen some really small filters by penn plax smallworld. Other than that I'm sure someone else may have a better idea.

SammyJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Look for a small air driven sponge filter. You can find some cheap ones in your lfs or maybe even walmart. Air driven is the key though as you can control the suction and gph rate with a cheap inline adjustable valve. If a filter is too strong the fry will get sucked in and die.

The one I have in my 2.5 or whatever it is came with the kit, it was like 25 bucks for the whole kit. This would be an upgrade to your 1/2 gallon as well. Replacement filters for it are like 3 bucks for 2 of them so media is cheap to come by. It also comes with a nice air pump, all of the hose, and an inline valve.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you insist on using the small bowl, just take out the gravel. Fry tanks are best bare bottomed, making maintenance much easier. I agree with what was stated above, look for a larger tank for them, the water quality in a small tank like that can go out of wack really quickly and make them all sick in a matter of hours if you aren't careful.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the Penn Plax Smallworld filters in my 5 gallon and they do a pretty good job. They're like sponge filters but also have carbon in the cartridge. I got them at Petco, but I think Petsmart sells a similar product. The bubbling they cause may be too violent in a 1/2 gallon tank, though.

I agree about removing the rocks and going with a bare bottom tank. My fry drive me nuts with the amount of mess they make--how can such little things make so much poop?! . You can add a little snail to the tank to help with clean-up.

If you can't upgrade, large daily water changes with Prime or Amquel+ are a
must. It doesn't take much to lose control of the water parameters in a tank that small.

And welcome to Fish Lore!

-Lisa

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I also vote for a sponge filter. they are probably they best at bio filtration, which will be very important in a tank that small.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can vouch that a 1/2 gallon bowl is going to be incredibly hard to maintain to keep your fry healthy. I started out with 2 full size mollies in a 2 gallon and was in the weeds, so to speak, in no time. So, like most people suggested, you're better off with an upgrade.

I used a Penn Plex Small World filter in my 2 gallon and the bubbles will most likely be too much for something so small (another good reason to upgrade, if you can). A good way to clean a small tank is with a turkey baster. Make sure to squeeze the bulb before putting the turkey baster in the water because the fry will get caught up in all the air bubbles.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome to the site! yeah a turkey baster is how i get stuff out of my 2.5 gallon shrimp/mts tank with sand substrate. it works very well. and like mirror said, squeeze it before putting it in the water, it'll work much more easily.

good luck with your fry

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wouldnt the cost of a sponge filter set up or any filtration for small tank for that matter be as much, if not more than a new ten gallon tank, at least with that, you could do the daily water changes till you were able to still get a sponge filtration for the ten gallon tank AND have a proper rearing tank *when i say proper i mean way better than a 2.5 gallon as i know nothing about breeding fish* Kill two birds with one stone, im sure that your not THAT depraved of money that you can't make it happen, then again, these are some dark times. Just a thought. =]

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads