Filtration Effective At Low Setting?

Gidde
I had to turn my Aquaclear down to the low flow setting today, to appease the smallest of my fish; he was just sitting in the one corner that doesn't get much current, not even coming out to eat.

Now that it's on low, he's swimming around much more normally; he hasn't returned to his corner yet!

My concern is, will the filter be effective on low? I have an Aquaclear 50 on a 29 gallon tank.

HORNET1
Personally, I would supplement with a sponge filter.

51I+Lqv-CNL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg

A201
Your AC will continue to function on the low flow setting as long as there is a steady uninterrupted flow of water going over and through the sponge and ceramic bio media.
Really the only drawback is that there will be reduced aeration. Might be a good idea to add an airstone if you continue using the low flow option.

Gidde
I do have an airstone already, and I'll look into getting a sponge filter. Thanks for the advice!

Hopefully once this guy gets a little bigger, he'll play in the current with the rest of em.

Gidde
Well, I turned it back up because he went back to his corner anyway. Ironically, he came out as soon as I turned the flow back up. I'm wondering if it's just a school size issue.

smee82
What type of fish is it and does he have any friends.

Gidde
He's the smallest of 4 glo skirt tetras (only 4 because they're my first post-cycle fish). I had been planning on waiting a second week before getting the next few, but now I'm a bit torn.

lodingi
Everything I've read states filters will filter better at a lower flow rate, you sacrifice turnover rate which shouldn't matter if the filter is properly sized.

georgelee1000
I have fluval 50 and Marineland penguin 200 for my 29. And I modified both of course. They are both on max filtration. I mainly do it because my fish tank is overstock. I use the plastic bottle method to decrease the current. It has been working very well. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with over filtration.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
otterblue
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
Flora
Replies
Views