Filters!

1. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

I have an over flow filter and I'm planing on running from a couple of months and if I don't see improvement I am going to either buy a diatom filter to help clear water each week or a canister what are your thoughts. I have a 55g

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

What are the issues?

A diatom filter is expensive, and they are really only used to make the water crystal clear. They should not be run 24/7. Only use them when needed. And to tell the truth, I don't know why they are ever needed.

A canister on the other hand will help with biological and mechanical filtration very nicely. But again, what is the problem you are having that you feel the need to add another filter?

3. OP
    OP
    TheCoolFish

The water is not getting filtered even though I have three stages set up.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

What brand of filter do you have?

5. OP
    OP
    TheCoolFish

It's a DIY overflow

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Jim

Ya gotta think - "the water is not clear", "I made the filter", = something is wrong with the filter I made.
    I have 40s and started with 2 Aqueon 30s. The water was clear. I now have an Eheim 2217 and the water is clear. Gotta be your filter. I have now added an Aqueon 30 using 100 micron filter pad and the water is crystal clear. Admittedly I have to clean the 100 pad every 3/4/5 days.

7. OP
    OP
    TheCoolFish

I don't have any fine filter pads on it but I'm planing on it plus I just got out of an algae bloom

8. Jim

9. OP
    OP
    TheCoolFish

They are reasonable so i will buy one of each soon