Filters stopped running?

cmckaykay

I have two filters on my 40g, a Marineland Emperor Penguin 150 and Fluval Aquaclear 50. I was performing a water change and unplugged both filters when the water level was below the filter intake, as per my routine. I do this to prevent the filters from sucking up air and possibly stalling (?).

After filling the tank back up, I plugged them both back in but neither of them started. It's nothing wrong with the outlet, as the light and bubbler both still work. This has never happened before, I turned on the air wand to provide some aeration but I'm not sure what else to try. These are relatively new filters, a year old or younger, so it's frustrating that they've died.

What can I do? I want to prevent the BB from dying and not have to purchase two new filters.

ToxicDesire

this happened to my aqua clear 50 I think its simple the out the water in the aqua clear and take off the motor connect the motor and it still isn't working try to give the little skinny thing a flick and it should start rotating if not id buy a new motor its always worked for me but just be careful when you do it

crumble

the impeller might be really dirty making it stick, if you go into the filter with a toothpick and try to push the impeller it will start. if it doesn't start check and see if the motor is warm if its cold you will need to buy a new filter.

cmckaykay

Okay I took them out and cleaned the impellers for both, they didn't seem too dirty/no hair but they worked when I plugged them back in! Thank you guys!

ToxicDesire

Yeah no problem I thought I was the only one with a faulty filter arky

cmckaykay

Welp the aquaclear is still fine (though a little noisy) but the marineland I can't get to start again. It made a loud buzzing noise before I unplugged it, and tried to restart but it wouldn't turn on. Would putting some vaseline on the impeller maybe help?

If not I think I'm just going to go to petco really quick and get another filter.

ToxicDesire

it probably fried the motor just buy another aqua clear 50 I really like these filters if you have the money buy another. I think that filter is shot by now.

lovesLC

Sometimes you have to pour water inside the filter to get them going again. I"ve had to do that several times. Make sure it is tank water or dechlorinated fresh water.

oldsalt777

Hello cmc...

This is likely just something that can be fixed by taking the filter apart and cleaning it. Some bit of material has become stuck. I generally clean the filters on my tanks weekly, when I do the water change.

The bacteria colony won't die if you keep the media wet. Just put the stuff in a small bucket of the old tank water while you clean the filter. There's plenty of good bacteria on all surfaces inside the tank, not just in the filter media. Whatever bacteria is lost during the cleaning process will reproduce to it's former level in a few hours after you refill the tank.

Old

Top Bottom