Filters Keep Losing Flow

wario

In the past 8 months with four different filters on two different tanks, I keep having the same problem. After about two weeks my filter loses flow until I clean it and I've bought myself another two weeks.

This originally happened with an aqueon quietflow 75. It was fairly old so I bought a replacement one thinking it was just going up. The same problem happened. Then it happened to my fluval 206 on my other tank. As recently as last week, I bought an aquaclear 110. It's now having flow problems. Since this one is clear plastic, I can see the intake tube is completely full of water as is the reservoir box.

I've gone years without this ever happening and since the autumn it has not gone away. I have intake sponges on both filters. I also tried replacing those. The two tanks have different fish and different diets. Anyone have any ideas?

grump299

I to am at a lose but can you tell what is clogging your filter up when you clean it I take it is good after a cleaning how long does it take to slow down after the cleaning.

Cichlidude

Tank #1 size? Which filter?
Tank #2 size? Which filter?

Skavatar

are the mechanical filter media gunked up? I change out the polyfill every week, and rinse the sponges too.

wario

Tank #1 size? Which filter?
Tank #2 size? Which filter?
tank 1 is a 55 gallon which had the quietflows and now has the aquaclear
tank 2 is a 29 gallon with the fluval 206

I to am at a lose but can you tell what is clogging your filter up when you clean it I take it is good after a cleaning how long does it take to slow down after the cleaning.
No I'm not sure what's clogging it. It is good for about two weeks then slows down again

Cichlidude

tank 1 is a 55 gallon which had the quietflows and now has the aquaclear
tank 2 is a 29 gallon with the fluval 206
Well you appear to be just fine with those filters. Don't know how you have your media set up inside those filters. Most likely like Skavatar says, it is normal for your mechanical media to get plugged and full. You can expect almost a 50% reduction in flow rates with all your media/hoses/bends in tubing as it gets plugged over a few weeks time. Dirty impellers can slow the flow rates more than you think. Suggest you pull those and clean them and the impeller housing they sit in.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NBettas83
  • Question
Replies
Views
tetrabutyl
Replies
Views
seth rodgers