Filters? How oftwn should i change them? Also activated carbon, how do i clean.

1. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

i HAVE A 10 GALLON TANK AND I HAVE A FILTER FOR A 10 GALLON TANK . HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CHANGE THE FILTER CARTRIDGE? ITS BEEN ABOUT 3 WEEKS AND EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE. ALSO I ADDED SOME DRIFT WOOD FOR THE FISH TO VEG:;batman:;batman ON AND TO HELP BRING DOWN THE PH. AND I ADDED ACTIVATED CARBON TO KEEP THE WATER CLEAN FROM THE TANNIN'S. HOW DO I CLEAN AND REUSE THE ACTIVATED CARBON ? AND WHAT DOES IT REALLY DO . tHANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!:;tmnt:;tmnt

2. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Just some quick advice, NEVER change your cartridge unless it is falling to bits! It is where your bacteria colony live and removing it would cause your tank's cycle to crash! If you do need to, run the old filter and the new filter cartridge next to each other for a few weeks to seed the new cartridge but I would not do that unless ABSOLUTELY neccessary. As for the carbon, it's fine porous structure allows it to trap and withhold micro impurities in the water. It is used to get rid of tannins, medications and as a high quality filter media. Only change it after it is used to remove medications or such as it releases these into the tank again after a while. I don't think there is a way to reuse it but I will let others chip in with that info. Hope this helped!
    ~Mudkipz

3. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

Thanks @mudkip

4. Skyy2112 Member Member

Generally they say a month for carbon. I have a few new tanks at 2-4 mos. that still have clear water, and no sick fish.

I would prob replace carbon every 6mos and media only if needed. IE falling apart, or stopping flow. Assuming you have a cheaper hang on back filter, add a new pad for the first time in about 4 months, two months later take the old out. This should give your new pad 2 months of time to adjust the new bacteria colony.

And repeat. But I dont personally know. My dad runs nice tanks and he wont EVER change it. 'Shrug'

5. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

Very helpful thank you. But i heard there was a way to clean and reuse the activated carbon pouch ?

6. martini4 Member Member

You might be thinking of just rinsing the cartridge with tank water and putting it back in. That's just to get debris off the outside though.

7. Skyy2112 Member Member

You can reuse the pouch containing/holding carbon, but not the carbon itself.

8. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Youre probably referring to advice about slitting the fiber, dumping the carbon, then filling it back with the new carbon.

Some people find it pointless to worry about carbon. I personally have not upkept my activated carbon in any of my tanks.
    Although if you wish to have it, I would get media bags and put your carbon into them. It would be cleaner easier to change out, i would think