Filters for 55-75 gallon tank.

Bub

Reaction score
I'm gonna be getting either a 55g or 75g tank soon. I'm a little knew to this and not sure which is the best way to go for filters. I've been looking at a or possibly an AquaClear 110. I'm under the impression that canister filters are better than power filters though. But, would having 2 power filters be as good (or better) than 1 canister filter? I could go either way since 2 power filters would probably cost about the same as 1 canister filter.

And now for what is probably the dumbest question ever posted here... When reading up on these filters it says that they oxygenate the water too, so does that mean an air pump (w/ stones) is unnecessary?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's really personal preference. HOB filters are my least favorite filters. I don't like them because I have come home too many times to find the filter humming, but there's no water being filtered. They are unreliable as far as I'm concerned, and I do have a couple in my tanks, but don't like them.

I have a 55 gal. tank with 2 sponge filters for filtration, but the tank only has 4 angels in it and a snowball pleco. If you don't or won't have a large bio load on the tank, you may be able to use sponge filters. Mine work great, the filters are cheap, and they are very easy to clean.

My 100 gal. filter has 2 canisters, 1 large HOB, and a sponge filter in it. This is my oscar tank, and it needs lots of filtration. I love the canisters because the actual filter is underneath my tank and out of sight, and the gallons per hour (gph) rate is very good. You only have to clean canisters about once a month also, and my filstars are easy to clean.

Either of those filters mentioned are good. I think you will have more gph with the magnum, and bio wheel will add more working bacteria to the tank which is always a plus. The aquaclears are rated highly by hobbyists and are probably the best in HOB filters. This is just gonna have to be your call. You want to shoot for about a 10 times per hour turnover rate with your filtration, so a 55 gal. tank should be 550 gph in filtration. 10 times per hour is not a requirement, but a very good standard in maintaining a healthy tank. You can always have one of each in the tank. You really can't over filter your tank.

Bub

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been pretty much planning on getting the Magnum, I was just wondering if 2 power filters would outdo it. The Magnum's filter rate is only 350gph but it says that it's for tanks up to 100g. I won't have very many fish in the tank for the first few months so I figure I can always add a second filter, whether it be canister or not, in the future when I have a lot of fish.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that for some reason, that if you have filtration from a canister, adequate filtration is figured at 5 times the size of the tank. I have no idea why this is, but have seen it recommended by people I trust.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have an AquaClear (hang-on -back) in my 30 gallon tank and I love it. Never had a problem with it. But if I were getting a 75 gallon tank (which I will be getting soon), I'd get a canister filter for it. I think HOB filters are good for smaller tanks (10-55 gallons) but for tanks 75 gallons and up, canisters are better (but that's my personal opinion). HOB filters could be also good for large tanks, as additional filtration (not the main one).

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
HOB filters would be fine for the larger tank, but they are ugly, and it just looks better when you don't see filters everywhere in the larger tanks.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that a canister would be the way to go, as you get reliability, efficiency, have large amounts of filter media and they're overall the best filtration out there.

Dr_House

Reaction score
As has been said, filtration boils down to personal preference.

If you decide to go with a canister, my recommendation (not to contradict anyone else) is the XP3. Again, it's all personal preference. I currently own a Magnum 350, Fluval 404 and Rena XP3. I'll list the pros and cons, as I see them, of each.

Rena XP3:
Good all-around
Pros:
Fair amount of media
Relatively easy to clean
LOVE the spraybar the comes stock

Cons:
Bright blue intake tube...it may as well be flourescent pink. :lol:

Magnum 350:
Easiest maintenance
Pros:
Maintenance VERY quick and easy
All those nifty attachments

Cons:
Fairly difficult to set up for some reason
Minimal media
Filter pads are more expensive than bags of filter floss

Fluval 404:
???
Pros:
Inexpensive
Quiet
4 media baskets plus sponges for large quantities of media and great flexibility

Cons:
Ribbed tubing begs to be replaced
Cleaning is a hassle
Getting the top off requires the strength of ten oxen.
I basically made a Frankenfilter out of mine. Took the intake from a Magnum, the tubing and spraybar from a Rena and got a filter I'm reasonably happy with.

Again, just my opinions. Of course if you want the best, I hear the Eheim is the way to go. Cost becomes a factor with this brand.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom