Filters...filters... Filters

Landozer18
Hey everyone, gonna get back into the hobby after Christmas but I have no idea which filter to use. Today I saw several different brands/types at my lfs. There was; Fluval canister filter very expensive, Top Fin power filter, Marineland Bio wheel Penguin power filter & AquaClear power filter. What's the big difference? I used the AquaClear power filters when I was first into the hobby.

Advertisement
aquatickeeper
Definitely don't use Top Fin filters. They are one of the worst. I would use Aquaclear filters. I've had one of them for almost a year now with no problems. Reviews online are pretty good.

Advertisement
lonewolf 47
have you checked online like Amazon? Usually the prices are better there. In any case get a filter that is rated for more gallons than you have. For example, If you have a 40 gallon aquarium? take a 60 gallon filter.

Mike Novice
The Topfin filter won't last more than a few months most likely.

AmnScott
I'll add my two cents. Out of the power filters, I'd go with AquaClear. They're simple, reliable, and quiet. Now I'm not saying this is typical, but I've heard many marineland owners complain about the bio-wheel seizing up and failing to spin. Sure, it's an easy fix, but if it stops spinning and you're away from home that can hamper the biological filtration (i.e. if you're on vacation). For that reason I'm not into Marineland power filters. I wouldn't consider the TopFin power filter either. Those filters fail quite often (just google "Topfin filter failure" or "Topfin filter not working" and you'll get endless results).

Fluval canister filters are nice, but IMHO there are other options out there for less money, in regards to canisters. I'm assuming your LFS has higher prices than what would be found online.

I second the suggestion about searching online. Amazon has a great selection of filters and the prices are very good. Look into Hydor canister filters, Fluval AquaClear power filters (which can also be found at many pet stores), and SunSun canisters. Penn Plax also makes a cheap canister filter that does a great job (Cascade) and it even has a warranty. But it all depends on tank size and bio-load.

Good luck and welcome back!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishBoy101
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies
Views