Filters and Tanks Quality

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I am just curious what anybody here thinks are the best filter types and brands, as well as the best tank types and brands. Are acrylic tanks or glass tanks better? And why? Thanks for any responses :)

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Sponge and canister filters are my favorite filters. I like the sponges because they are so easy to clean, they help keep the oxygen level up because of the bubbler, and they are cheap. My canisters (filstars) are easy to clean (not nearly as easy as a sponge filter), I only have to do maintenance about once a month, and they are near silent. I'm not sure about the brands of tanks, and since there are goods and bads about each type of tank, it's mostly just preference. Glass tanks probably last longer because they don't scratch as easily, and don't get hazy looking like an acrylic tank can. However, acrylic tanks appear cheaper to buy (which is a plus if you are planning on a large tank), they weigh a lot less, and they are supposed to be more "real" than glass because they don't reflect the image as much.

3. fletch Member Member

I had a clear seal filter for 5 months and it was absolute rubbish!! My water levels didnt neutralise the whole time and it kill a lot of fish, not to mention it was noisy. 2 weeks ago i put in a Fluval filter and I have clear water, perfect levels and no sound at all.

4. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

All my filters are fluval - never had a problem :D

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

I think Ive got a sponge/internal filter its an Eheim Aquaball (German brand). Its pretty easy to clean and it also has a bubbler thingy. I got it because there was only like two different types a cheaper Chinese brand or a more expensive German brand. And as Germans make stuff to last not break after a year I picked it. Good decision too keeps my water sparkling clean!

6. JustinT Initiate Member

I like my fluval as well, but I usually only put it in if my tank is really messy (to take out large particles). I like the emperor 400 hang on...but changing out those filters can get expensive. So, I've found that the best filter for me is the H.O.T. Magnum hang on filter with a bio-wheel attachment. Found it on ebay for 50 bucks! You never have to buy a new filter for it and it can be filled with carbon or you can insert a water polishing wheel (included). And the bio-wheel dissolves a ton more oxygen into the water...you can see it coming out of the wheel as a cloud into the water. Oh, and I like Oceanic's glass tanks. It's all I've used, so..I can't compare :)

7. onelovie Member Member

One of my filters on my 55 gallon tank is a HOT Magnum, it has worked great! It is easy to clean, too. I'd recommend it.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have Whispers, Aquaclears, and Emperor and my favorite is the Aquaclear. They're so easy to clean and if you want to easy to add various filter media.
    carol

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I have the AquaClear filter for my 30 gallon tank too, and I also like it. Indeed easy to clean and to change the filter media. For my 10 gallon tank, I have a Whisper, and it is so so. But it'll do since it's just for a quarantine tank that is empty for most of the time.