filteration.. how much is too much?!

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
good morning,(it is over here!) i am currently going through the process of setting up my grandaddy tank. tank is roughly 275 litres about 77 gallons so i have been told anyway. its not filled with water as i am aquiring all the bits and bobs to go with it( its just tipping over the $1000 australian dollar mark)

my question is this; what rate of filtration shall i been filtering my water at? by this i mean i currently have a 1200litres per hour cannister filter do i need more? i am hoping for 20ish small active fish should i be running 10x filteration (a few people have told me this) is there a general guide line i should follow

i hope i havent missed anything
darren

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Filtering your gallonage 10 times an hour should be ok for most situations.

Dino

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks Dino, that was the general consensus.there is always the perverbial spanner in the works somewhere that got me to thinking!

my other question is now this; can i also run the "in the hood" filter as well as the cannister filter together or am i better off going for another cannister filter????

regards
darren

not4you

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd say go ahead and run both filters at the same time, you can't over filter your water. Plus, if one filter were to fail you would have something running until you fixed or replaced the other one.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a filter in the hood I would go ahead and run it and save the money and if you aren't pleased with the results you can always buy another canister later.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can run 2 filters in one tank, each filter at the opposite end of the tank. It's best to have a filtration of at least 10 times the volume of your tank per hour.

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
ha-ha you guys rock!!! the man i bought my tank off said one 1200 litres p/h would be enough after selling me a cannister filter and "forgetting" to give me the filter media for the hood filter after i told him i wanted to run two filters (i blame your brilliant knowledge here ATM!!!)

thanks and thanks again guys
darren

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
;D sorry

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
apology not accepted!! however your knowledge is!!! ;D

now on to the heater: after getting the tank and measuring it ,it seems i have a 77ish gallon (120cmx51cmx45cm) i have to be getting a 300w heater is that correct?? also do i need two of them and can i have a combination of heaters. by this i mean say 2x 150w or say a 150w and a 200w can you also have too much of this. i know thermostat will cut in and out to keep the heat correct. or will one do the job adequately??!

once again thanks
regards darren

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
5w per gallon is the rule and you have approx. 77 gallons so that's about 387 watts so two 200w heaters would be good and you should be able to get away with one 150w and one 200w depending how warm your house is. Best to have two filters and two heaters so if one dies the other can pick up the slack until you can replace it.

darn > at least my knowledge is accepted

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
ah all is clear now amongst the murky waters of life. and the expense of setting up is creeping further up. but the joy will outweigh the cost!!!
so once again its off to the shop to purchase more stuff! notr that i mind majestic aquariums and xtreme aquariums (my lfs, fish only too) are but 300m apart from each other!!!

one day i will stump you ATM with a question,
until then thanks again,champion!!
regards darren

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
dazzler said:
ah all is clear now amongst the murky waters of life. and the expense of setting up is creeping further up. but the joy will outweigh the cost!!!
so once again its off to the shop to purchase more stuff! notr that i mind majestic aquariums and xtreme aquariums (my lfs, fish only too) are but 300m apart from each other!!!

one day i will stump you ATM with a question,
until then thanks again,champion!!
regards darren
I have an Idea to stump him!!! ;D ;D ;D

On what TV show was the word Wumbo said on?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
dumbo? I don't watch t.v. much except for 24 ;D

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
dumbo?  I don't watch t.v. much except for 24 ;D
The word was wumbo not dumbo.

Or is dumbo a show?

Either way it is an answer and it is WRONG!!! ;D

SpongeBob SquarePants!!! ;D ( ...Pineapple under the sea? SpongeBob SquarePants!!! Who...

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dumbo the elephant. Spongebob isn't fair, I don't have cable and haven't seen spongebob for three years. I'm too busy to watch t.v., either hanging with friends, fish, or sports.

Darren I have been stumped many times, but the good thing is there are much more knowledgable people here than me so they can help.

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
Dumbo the elephant.  Spongebob isn't fair, I don't have cable and haven't seen spongebob for three years.  I'm too busy to watch t.v., either hanging with friends, fish, or sports.

Darren I have been stumped many times, but the good thing is there are much more knowledgable people here than me so they can help.
Oh, let me think of something else.

What is the 3 squared?

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
well my good man you have yet to fail me!! and for that i thank you!!!

so finally after three weeks plus i will hopefully be filling her up tomorrow night pending how the aquascaping goes. fingers crossed no hiccups. so photos shall be arriving soon

im jumping in so here goes nothing
thanks as always from me to the awesome people here. you have and will make this more enjoyable than ever
kind regards darren

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You mean three squared 9

Are you going to make a journal dazzler, pm Mike if you want one.

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
i think i will have to. i have been keeping an eye on your journal too!!! interesting

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got co2 up working now too, just have to update it with pics doing it now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom