filter?

gammerus

Well Known
Reaction score
apparently the 2.5gal I got for Thomas has an undergravel filter :-\ I know they don't really help at all with the bioload situation so I was wondering if I need it. If I just do small water changes everyday (few cups) would he be fine or would the undergravel filter be better to use until I get him a proper one?

I only ask because a undergravel filter prevents me from having sandy substrate.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well in your other post (I think it was one of your posts) we explained why sand is not good for Bettas... but whatever the case don't use a ugf. It's not worth it. If you absolutely can not get any other filter for a while I would advise just doing daily changes while you wait. Let's see what others think though.

OP
gammerus

gammerus

Well Known
Reaction score
yeah, I just finished reading that post :-[

either way, I just don't like undergravel filters, very ugly

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And ineffective and really really bad news when they get clogged

OP
gammerus

gammerus

Well Known
Reaction score
well I took out the filter and decorated it ;D I managed to find a nice mountain shaped rock to adorn the tank.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds lovely, I too am going to look forward to pictures. Glad you decided not to include the filter, it would have meant tearing down the tank to remove it eventually and I do not believe in just pulling the gunk down below the surface. That has to be a powder keg waiting to blow up eventually. Oh and yes definitely NO sand in a betta tank.

Rose

New Threads