Filter

1. benharmer87 Member Member

Wanna get a new and Improved filter for my 55g tank. I think I have an aquaclear 30-50. Im at work right now so can't check. I dont want a inside filter though so what is the best recommendations? I also would like another cover. What is a good one with good lighting? Mine is covered with calcium from our hard water.

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

When you say you don't want an inside filter, are you saying you don't want a canister filter? You prefer the external power filter?
    The hood and light can vary based on what you want and what your tank needs, but you don't have to get one of the hoods with the light built in. My hood is just a piece of glass cut to fit the tank and cut into quarters. Attach handles to the two front sections and I have a hood. This allows you to have a sleek look and also allows the ability to add whatever light you want.

3. Jim Well Known Member Member

OP, your question is vague. Exactly which type of filter are you looking towards - an HOB or canister. As to the calcium deposits, trying using vinegar on them, soak and wipe,

4. benharmer87 Member Member

I mean the type that don't go in the tank. Yes the external filter. Don't know what is best. My hood has two glass pieces in back and in front is the two lids to open.I got a fluorescent light strip sitting over the glass. I really want a good lighting sytem with light for the night. There is artificial plants right now but planning on planting my tank soon.

5. benharmer87 Member Member

I will try cleaning it today with vinegar. Thank you

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

If you only want the external, then I would get a big one. The Fluval C4 is rated for 70 gallons and has a good amount of room to add additional bio media. It also has a little wet/dry component built in, which is nice. I have one on my 55, but that is in addition to a canister.

7. Jim Well Known Member Member

For nice lighting try an LED. Either of these would fill the bill.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...728356&sr=8-1&keywords=finnex+planted+plus+48
    It is the brighter of the 2 . There are two rocker switches, one for normal daylight and the other for night blue lights. There are no adjustments.
    Here is the second.....
    http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-su...satellite-plus-freshwater-led-48-60-inch.html

This one is a little less bright but has bells and whistles that you will never use, such as- various types of storms, intensity of moon lgo, brightness of the sun, various colors that can be set. I have two of them and do nothing more than turn them on and off by times. I do not use any of the "effects"

8. benharmer87 Member Member

Thx I think I'll go with that one.

9. benharmer87 Member Member

I wanna grow plants so I think the fugeRay will be better for me. Thx for your help