Filter won’t fit because of support bar

FyaNyan

Hey guys,

I’m trying to set up my planted tank and ran into a slight issue. The support bar in my 31 gallon tank gets in the way of my HOB filter that I purchased yesterday (Aqua-Tech 30-60). My tank is 30” x 12” x 20”. I will attach an image to explain.

Without extra support.

5AA20E9A-9DF9-4F9D-9D05-B81036998224.jpeg

With some extra support (paper towel tube).

6AFA8D31-F59D-408D-A0EC-D4A252E9264D.jpeg

If I use something to prop the HOB up, it could work, but it’s putting a lot of stress on the support bar. I can’t slide the filter any more to the right because it will no longer fit out the opening on the wood lid.

I can still take the filter back and get something else. I was thinking of a Tetra Whisper Internal Filter, but they don’t make one with a strong enough gph (I’m looking in the 250-310 range). I already have a spare Tetra Whisper Internal Filter 20-30; should I buy a second and use two? What do y’all think? Does double filtration work?

Thanks for listening.

PAcanis

Can you adjust the lid by cutting out enough to slide the filter in one direction or the other?

awilkinson871

2 filters is always good but I don't personally love having 2 internal filters. I just don't think they move enough water and they are hard to add decent bio media into.

FyaNyan

Can you adjust the lid by cutting out enough to slide the filter in one direction or the other?
Sorry, I didn’t quite clarify. The filter does not fit between the support bar and the end of the tank anyway. It’s an inch or so too wide. The space I have to work with disregarding the lid is 13 inches. The filter is 15.
2 filters is always good but I don't personally love having 2 internal filters. I just don't think they move enough water and they are hard to add decent bio media into.
What about two smaller HOBs? Could that work?

awilkinson871

I prefer 2 smaller HOB because you can add additional media filter and have water circulation at both ends of the tank. I have 2 large ones on my 55. It is also helpful so you can clean the media one at a time so you do not disrupt your cycle too much. Another good thing is just in case one dies there is still something going until you can replace.

FyaNyan

awilkinson871 that makes sense. This was essentially my conclusion, too. I got two smaller HOBs and they fit correctly. I like the flexibility of them compared to my internal filters in my 10g and 20g. Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I’ve figured out what to do!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BeGreene
Replies
Views
SC_Gman
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views