Filter, why do you treat me so?

1. rae64 Well Known Member Member

My filter is making weird clicking noises, and randomly stops working. To get it to start back again, I have to wiggle the intake tube around until it starts up. I need a new filter. The filter is a Tetra Whisper 10 and processes 90 gph, and is currently used in addition to my Penguin 200 on my 29 gallon tank. I need a filter to replace it. BUT I need to be able to use it on my 10 gallon QT tank if I have sick fish. I do not want to spend a whole lot of money on it, but want it to last. Any suggestions? (I'm looking for around 100 gph)

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sounds like its not fitted into the hole inside the filter properly....how old is the filter?

3. rae64 Well Known Member Member

The filter is just a couple months old. I haven't had problems with it before today.

4. David C Well Known Member Member

Check to make sure the impeller inserted properly and that the intake tube is seated fully like Shawnie said. If the filter is only a few months old it's probably something a little loose and nothing wrong with the filter itself. If you still can't get it, try taking it to your LFS and have them give you a hand, as long as it's a decent shop be willing to give you a hand. Beats unnecessarily buying a new one.

I just bought an aquaclear 20 today, its about what you are looking for and cost me a little under $30. Good luck.

Dave

5. rae64 Well Known Member Member

Once it stops working, if i take the whole tube out including the impeller and put it back in, it works. But eventually, it stops.

6. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Mine does the exact same thing! It's a Top-Fin 40 and it is pretty old. It usually works well but will occasionally quit until I mess with the intake tube.

7. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

Depending on what you want to spend (all are 100 gph).....

Aqua-Tech 5-15: (Wal Mart, made by Marineland) around $11

AquaClear 20: usually around $26 at Petsmart, etc... can be found on sale

Penguin 100: Have seen at LFS for $22-$24

Aqueon 10: Usually around $17-$18 at LFS

8. rae64 Well Known Member Member

I need to make a run to the LFS today for fish food. My dog figured out how to pop the lid off the shrimp pellets and has licked the bottle clean.... lol. So, I think I will take a look at the filters down there when I go. Also, I had a question about food. I know algae wafers and shrimp pellets for my cory, but I was thinking about maybe a mix of Tetra Tropical Flakes and Spirulina Algae based flakes. I was considering buying a small bottle of each and combining them together pouring the mixture back into the 2 bottles. The fish I am getting are omnivores, and was hoping to balance their diet this way with the flakes. I also was thinking about storing the food in ziploc baggies to try to keep the food fresh. Does this sound ok? Also, once a week they get bloodworms, and love them. Mods, move this if it needs to be :)

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hahaah My dogs did the same thing with my decapsulated eggs ...a whole bag!!!!!! now mind you dogs have bad breath as it is, and this was just horid for 2 days LOL

I mix my flakes with spurilina flakes and im sure you can do it with your also...you still need some sinking foods for your bottom guys/gals....even better is making your own foods....much much cheaper and so much better nutrition....you can do a search on the site and get many recipes....good luck with the filter hunt!!

10. rae64 Well Known Member Member

I have (well, had) the sinking shrimp pellets and the algae wafers for the cories. Is this enough for them? I will also look into the making food... sounds fun!

11. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

the AquaClear would be the best bet for a replacement.. I have had them last for years with no problems at all....jmho :;dete

12. rae64 Well Known Member Member

I think I might go with the Marineland Penguin 100 because I have a larger one like it now. I really like the BIO-wheel feature, and it is super quiet. I will just have to see the prices when I get to the LFS.